News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac brake pedal connection question

Started by carguyblack, June 15, 2009, 06:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carguyblack

Would anyone familiar with this car be able to tell me how the brake pedal connects to the push rod at the pedal? I tied to get the ball end to click into the receiver on the pedal but can't get it to stay in place. I can pull back on the brake pedal with my toes and lift the pedal off the push rod. Is there a retainer clip I'm missing? Is there supposed to be a rubber receiver in the brake pedal that holds the end of the rod secure? Mine just falls in and out easily and that can't be right! Thanks for any help here. Chuck Dykstra Portage, MI
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

J. Gomez

Chuck,

There is a cylindrical pressure clamp (blue arrow) that slide in the “brake pedal” receiver (red arrow). This clamp has an open grove about half way, and when you slide inside the “receiver” will hold the rod (black arrow) inside.

BTW there is also a spring retainer that holds the receiver in place..!

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Devilledude

Bringing back a zombie thread

I am in need of this pressure clamp but no one seems to know what I am talking about even though I show them the broken clamp. Anyone have a part number for the numb skulls behind the counter? Maybe a source?

Thanks
T. More

J. Gomez

The correct name for these maybe "Spiral External Retaining Rings", it would be hard for any shop to know them or even know what they are.

Try McMaster - > http://www.mcmaster.com/?error_redirect=true#retaining-rings/=ske8ml
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Devilledude

Been searching mcmaster for a week now with no luck. Tried both of your terms also with no luck.

Anyone know what other vehicles may have used this same retainer? 

This is the final piece before I can get the car back on the road, any help appreciated!!
T. More

J. Gomez

Quote from: Devilledude on June 25, 2014, 07:03:10 PM
Been searching mcmaster for a week now with no luck. Tried both of your terms also with no luck.

Anyone know what other vehicles may have used this same retainer? 

This is the final piece before I can get the car back on the road, any help appreciated!!

Sorry I thought you meant the spiral retainer that’s what happens for not paying attention..!  ::)

You could probably make one from steel tubing with a smaller ID than the brass receiver on the pedal bracket.

Cut the piece to allow it to expand (as shown on the picture).

Then drill a hole (same size as the pedal rod) at the center of the cylinder on the opposite side of the cut.

If you still have the old one it could give you a rough template to make one. This clamp just holds the end of the rod (ball shape) inside the hole at the brass receiver.

There could be other GM makes that may use the same arrangement, not sure which ones.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Devilledude

Thanks, I just got back from IMS with some 7/8 OD 16ga tubing to make my own retainer. Luckily I do have the old broken one to use as a template.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!
T. More

J. Gomez

Quote from: Devilledude on June 25, 2014, 08:53:34 PM
Thanks, I just got back from IMS with some 7/8 OD 16ga tubing to make my own retainer. Luckily I do have the old broken one to use as a template.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Great..!  8)

Keep us posted with your results.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Devilledude

Here is the broken retainer clip

A tube cutter provides a square piece to start with

Here are the tools needed

Two small pilot holes

On to the big 3/8 bit

Finish the slot with the hack saw and the small files then cut the relief cut in the back. Not pretty but gets the job done.

Ill take some measurements of the broken clip and post up a flat template so you can print it out if needed.

WORKING BRAKES ARE NICE!!!
T. More