News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

The Very Best Books

Started by Rick Biarritz, June 16, 2009, 12:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Biarritz

I've ordered an automobile electronics book, and the GM shop manual for my car.  Does anybody out there have any recommendations for a novice?  Thanks.

Walter Youshock

You HAVE ordered or are LOOKING to order these books?

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Chris Conklin

Also get the body manual and parts book.
Chris Conklin

Rick Biarritz

Quote from: Walter Youshock on June 16, 2009, 12:41:46 PM
You HAVE ordered or are LOOKING to order these books?

I ordered them.

Guidematic

The electrical book is an educational book? If so, that would be good to have.

The GM manual is the defacto good book for any car. The body and parts manuals are good to have, but not nearly as necessary as the service manual.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Chris Conklin

Quote from: Mike Jones on June 17, 2009, 07:49:37 PM
The body and parts manuals are good to have...

Oddly enough, I find better schematics and diagrams in the body and parts books than in the shop manual, especially electrical routing. But I'm a visual sort of person I suppose, I have to read and re-read the shop manual many times over. Gimme pictures!  8)
Chris Conklin

Ohio57-62Sedan

Yeah sometimes I just need a good kick in the head to figure some things out... I have found ASE study guides to be a huge help to understand how some systems work... We have Mitchell books factory books that go way back to the 30's & 40's to present... you can never have enough reference materials around... the old ones are fun for trivial debates... or radio contest... :D

mgbeda

After getting the Cadillac Service Manual, which I agree is the best, I'd also get a Hayne's manual.  They are (comparatively) cheap, have a LOT of pictures and sometimes have more detailed instructions on a job than the factory manuals.  The downside is that they tend to pack too many different cars into one small book.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Jim Salmi #21340

Is there something called "Expanded Parts Catalogue" or some similar name?  Where can it be ordered?  I would need one applicable to a 1952.

Thanks
1952 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

Philippe M. Ruel

Quote from: Jim S. #21340 on June 24, 2009, 09:18:50 PMIs there something called "Expanded Parts Catalogue" or some similar name?  Where can it be ordered?
The "master parts list" (sometimes called "parts book") is what you are looking for.

These are heavy (1,000+ page) folders, covering several years. Reproductions are readily available for less than $100 at Bishko Books, Faxon Auto Literature or Lloyds Literature.
Originals are for sale now and then on eBay for about the same price if you're lucky.
1952 60 Special in France.

Jim Salmi #21340

Thanks, guys.  Ask and it shall be answered.
1952 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan