News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1971 Cadillac ElClassico

Started by monte, June 16, 2009, 02:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monte

I just acquired this car it has a 500ci engine and only 24,000 original miles. Needing any information about it or its value. Could be willing to sell if the offer were right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Davidinhartford

The elclassico was one of many packages created by the aftermarket accessory industy to capitalize on the "pimpmobile" craze of the seventies.     These were not made by Cadillac and often shunned by many collectors due to their over-the-top and sometimes questionable styling.  Then again, there are some fans of the excess too.

I have a whole Flickr photo group dedicated to these creations including the elclassico models.   Shown here is the cover to the WISCO products brochure.   WISCO made the elclassico packages.

Follow the link....   http://www.flickr.com/groups/903451@N24/pool/  There are 167 photos.

Davidinhartford

I took a closer look at your pics.   The car looks pretty straight and complete.   The paint peeling/cracking on the trunklid was common on these cars.   These were replacement lids and not painted at the same time as when the cars were built.    They were stamped by WISCO and then painted to match the car.    Over time the paint ages differently.   

If you were to clean it up and take some good pics of it from all angles, including interior, I'm sure it will attract a buyer who wants to make those final touches to restore it.

If you do, let me know.  I'd be happy to host the pics on my site for you.

Dave

J

very good-looking car  what be great if someone would restore this and a very good start  just my thoughts  Mrjb
Cadillac got me!!!

Dan LeBlanc

One of the auto glass shops in the area I used to be associated with had a 30 year veteran from back in the day when they did more accessories than auto glass.  He's told many stories of doing vinyl roofs, hand crafting landau bars, cutting opera windows, etc.  The local Ford dealer down the street from the shop used to offload deliveries in their yard because every car that came in got a vinyl roof and depending on the car, either landau bars or an opera window before it even saw the dealership.

Fortunately the fumes from the glue didn't fry his brain cells.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jim Skelly, CLC 315958

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on June 21, 2009, 03:24:14 PM
One of the auto glass shops in the area I used to be associated with had a 30 year veteran from back in the day when they did more accessories than auto glass.  He's told many stories of doing vinyl roofs, hand crafting landau bars, cutting opera windows, etc.  The local Ford dealer down the street from the shop used to offload deliveries in their yard because every car that came in got a vinyl roof and depending on the car, either landau bars or an opera window before it even saw the dealership.

Fortunately the fumes from the glue didn't fry his brain cells.
My '71 Eldorado was the same color, Clove (code 69).  It had a Medium Maize leather interior (gold) and matching vinyl top.  It's not a commonly seen color on these cars.  I'd like to find another like mine.

jaxops

Monte,

Better check that passenger-side mirror.  It may be still loaded! [from the movie "Live and Let Die"}
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA