News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What is the difference between a standard shock and a heavy duty shock?

Started by collector, June 16, 2009, 07:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

collector

Does it make the car ride harsher or just have a larger piston? the reason I am asking is I have an oil leak in my  front original shock and I have found original GM shocks but they are heavy duty and I dont want the ride to suffer. Did the Eldos come with a heavy duty shock as standard Equipment on the convertibles from 74 up with radial tires?

Dave Shepherd

HD shocks can have a larger piston as well as different internal valving, the E body fwd cars needed a stiffer shock as it had to handle all the weight.  I would recommend the hd shcoks in your case.

collector

Thank you very much. I thought as much just needed confirmation. I talked with my dealer who has the GM shocks and he said that my shock went through serveral part number changes and ended up as this heavy duty shock about three from the original number. These are dated 77 so I can live with original GM NOS shocks that are dated a few years later. He said that my ride would not suffer in the least. Again, thank you for your advise.