News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 390 leaking from water pump bolts?????

Started by Vetteman61, June 18, 2009, 03:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vetteman61

I tried to start my engine in the 1960 today.  It never started because I noticed water draining out.  It's coming out from the bolts on the passenger side of the water pump.  The top one where the air conditioning/alternator bracket mounts, and the one under it, which is inset a little.
   What could be causing this.  I even tried putting the tape on the bolts, and it still leaks. 
  I had the engine rebuilt by a professional and the engine hasn't run yet. 

Thanks,
      Brandon
Brandon

Walter Youshock

Did they put the correct bolts back in the correct holes?  I usually put a dab of silicone on the bolts about 1/2 inch from the end so it won't get into the coolant flow but will seal the threads.

It could be the gasket, too.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Chris Conklin

I'd be talking to that professional that did the re-build real quick.  :-\
Chris Conklin

ronw

When I had the water pump rebuilt on my 59, the back plate was not sealed properly and water leaked out between the back plate and the water pump housing. It looked like it was leaking from the bolts because the water ran down the back of the pump housing and dripped off the bolts. I made a new gasket and all was well. Get a light and a mirror and have a look at the back of the pump to make sure the leak is not higher up.
HTH
Ron
Ron in Sydney, Australia
1959 Series 62 Coupe
1970 Eldorado

Vetteman61

It is actually coming out the bolt holes, however I first thought it was running underneath.  It appears that it's a gasket problem.  I've ordered new ones, so we'll see if it fixes it. 
Brandon

Walter Youshock

Do yourself a favor--buy a sheet of gasket material so you can make your own gaskets!  You'll save a ton of time and $$$!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Dan LeBlanc

I used Permatex Ultra Blue silicone without any problems whatsoever in my 62.  Followed the directions exactly, however.  I applied to the pump, let it get a bit tacky, put on the pump finger tight just to ooze out the slightest amount of material, and let it sit overnight.  Torqued it to factory specs the next morning, still going according to the new owner.  I even blew the radiator last summer when I was idling in traffic with the aftermarket a/c on.  The car heated up to about 240 degrees and the rad blew as I had overfilled it.

Lesson learned - use a four row radiator and a 7 blade fan with aftermarket a/c!!!!  That's a topic for another day however.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Brandon

I had already ordered the gaskets by the time I'd gotten your post.  All they had were gaskets for a '62, but according to their books it will work.  I thought a '62 390 shared the same cubic inch, but was an entirely different engine, but I suppose that was '63 instead.

I'll hopefully be able to get back to the car monday, and hopefully this will fix my problem.  I removed the water pump and it did not appear to be cracked, which was a huge relief.