News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Check oil when the engine is hot or cold for a 58 Caddy

Started by MyBlackCaddy, June 18, 2009, 10:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyBlackCaddy

When the car is hot should the oil level be showing full or low?
Pat Flanagan

Ohio57-62Sedan

What kind of question is that?? first off you check your oil with the motor off. Hot or cold make not a bit of difference...wait a few minutes and then check it when all the oil get's back to the crank case... ::)

Otto Skorzeny

Quote from: MyBlackCaddy on June 18, 2009, 10:07:47 PM
When the car is hot should the oil level be showing full or low?

When the oil is hot it will be slightly above the "full" mark on the dipstick due to normal expansion from heat.

The only truly accurate reading of a dipstick is to check your oil when the engine is cold and the car is sitting on level ground. Check it in the morning after it has sat all night and cooled off.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

EAM 17806

Quote from: ottoskorzeny on June 18, 2009, 11:05:04 PM
When the oil is hot it will be slightly above the "full" mark on the dipstick due to normal expansion from heat.

The only truly accurate reading of a dipstick is to check your oil is when the engine is cold and the car is sitting on level ground. Check it in the morning after it has sat all night and cooled off.
RIGHT ON OTTO!  That is the only proper way to check the oil if you want a true reading. EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

TJ Hopland

If you are suspecting oiling issues checking it hot and then comparing it to a cold check will give you an indication if you are having drain back issues.  Some overhead valve engines are prone to having the drain back holes in the heads plug up and cause the oil to build up in the heads.  In extreme cases it can end up starving the engine for oil.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Guidematic

Quote from: TJ Hopland on June 20, 2009, 09:14:24 AM
If you are suspecting oiling issues checking it hot and then comparing it to a cold check will give you an indication if you are having drain back issues.  Some overhead valve engines are prone to having the drain back holes in the heads plug up and cause the oil to build up in the heads.  In extreme cases it can end up starving the engine for oil.   

That was an issue with HT4100's. The drain back holes were small and tended to get restricted.

On N* engines, even GM suggests waiting at least 20 minutes after engine shut off to check the oil since so much oil remains in the heads that it takes that long to properly drain back to get the correct level. Because of this many thought their engines were using oil when in fact they were not.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Quote from: Mike Jones on June 20, 2009, 01:16:23 PM
That was an issue with HT4100's. The drain back holes were small and tended to get restricted.

Just when we thought we'd heard every problem with the HT4100 (and the list was longer than any engine since the Lincoln-Zephyr V-12) , Mike gives us another one.

Ohio57-62Sedan

Mike
    I was thinking should I put a N* Or a 4100 in the 57 ? I know the N* would have more power but I love my 4100's.. I've gotten 100,000 easy miles out of each one I've ever had.. I just wanted to hear what the Pro's have to say about it...

Otto Skorzeny

I'm not a pro but I will say that you, being a professional mechanic will undoubtedly be able to get the maximum life out of any engine, even a lemon like the 4100. A typical owner/driver with daily use would have a hard time reaching that milestone.

Someone who knows his engine inside and out the way you do, is going to be way ahead of the curve on getting a 4100 to last like that. It requires a strict discipline and diligence to every aspect of the engine's finicky nature. Even an above-average owner/driver will have difficulty heading off problems.

Obviously it can be done but few are willing or able to devote that sort of attention to their driver.

100,000 miles is a lot for a 4100 but it's still pretty pathetic compared to just about any other engine out there.

I'd rebuild the 365 that's in there already. At 300hp it's got enough power to do whatever you want with the car.
fward

Ohio57-62Sedan

Thanks Dr.Otto I think you 100% right maybe ol blue is just too heavy for such a motor... New plan lets find a supercharger for the orignal motor... or what are your thoughts about going with a twin turbo... hmmmm sounds like fun to me

Otto Skorzeny

Get another 25 horsepower with the Eldorado engine. Twin carbs - that's always fun!
fward

Guidematic

Quote from: Ohio57-62Sedan on June 20, 2009, 11:11:25 PM
Mike
    I was thinking should I put a N* Or a 4100 in the 57 ? I know the N* would have more power but I love my 4100's.. I've gotten 100,000 easy miles out of each one I've ever had.. I just wanted to hear what the Pro's have to say about it...

You're a funny guy, John. I like your fishing method.  ;D

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Ohio57-62Sedan

MMM.... BEER..... here fishy fishy .... ;D

Pat Flanagan

Quote from: Ohio57-62Sedan on June 18, 2009, 10:20:00 PM
What kind of question is that?? first off you check your oil with the motor off. Hot or cold make not a bit of difference...wait a few minutes and then check it when all the oil get's back to the crank case... ::)
It is a legitimate question from someone wanting to learn more about the car from the professional on this forum. You are the kind of a$$ that run new people off. It does make a difference as you can read from the competent people in the replies. " There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.
Thanks to all for the replies. The problem is when checking the car cold the oil is full anytime after driving it is on the add mark. Now I know to let the car sit or cool before checking.
Thanks

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Pat (MyBlackCaddy),

Yes, some people have funny ways of answering, but I always check the oil in my engines when it is cold, the engine is cold, that is, and note the level on the end of the Dipstick.

Actually, I pull the Stick, wipe it, re-insert it, then pull it again and that is the reading I go by.

The full level on the stick is where it should be, and after the engine warms up, it should read a fraction highwe, as the heated oil will expand to a point.

When I check the engine when it is hot, I always wait a period of time before checking it, and that is usually done after I have completed filling the Fuel Tank at the local Bowser, or if I am going on a trip, wherever the Bowser is.

If you know your engine doesn't use, or lose any oil for a period, then it isn't necessary to check as often as if you are losing, or using a lot.

Bearing in mind, that any car that gets a lot of stop-start motoring, gets to go on a long trip, the oil level can appear to use a lot when checking, but that is usually just the condensation boiling away as the oil gets very hot.   This gives a lot of people the idea that all of a sudden their engine is worn out.

Hope this answers your initial question.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Ohio57-62Sedan

Quote from: Pat Flanagan on June 22, 2009, 11:03:36 PM
It is a legitimate question from someone wanting to learn more about the car from the professional on this forum. You are the kind of a$$ that run new people off. It does make a difference as you can read from the competent people in the replies. " There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.
Thanks to all for the replies. The problem is when checking the car cold the oil is full anytime after driving it is on the add mark. Now I know to let the car sit or cool before checking.
Thanks

Me Flanagan,
     I do not believe you asked the question, did you? I was not out to offend anyone here, but to me checking the oil is inline with filling the tank of a car.. This is all second nature to me.. So say what you will..Your not the first or the last person that will call me an asshole.  in my opinion if you don't know how to check your oil don't do it.. let a professional do it for you... I have 35 years in the automotive service ind.. and there are plenty of people that will never open the hood on any car. why?? because they are not mechanics... and as for expansion I would love to see something written about that... If that where true something would be written in the owners manual years ago don't ya think.. So for any other questions on the topic please Use Your Owners Manual.. I'm done trying to help you people... what a bunch of clueless thankless idiots... This site need's ASE mechanics here to help people that need and want the help.. Everytime I say something, people here ( I.E. Mr. Sheppard... Mr. Reynolds) try to to poke holes in my sugestions...So go on and drive your car until it starts knocking and quits.. then tell the world you did not cook your motor.. or better yet ground out a wire on your late model Cadillac and blow up a module or something expensive...

Best of luck to all of you people...
John P. Kechler, ASE Certified Mechanic

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day John,

If you check their email addresses, they are one in the same.

Bruce. >:D
Home grown Mechanic, amongst other things. :)
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Since we got the question answered I can ask a question

Bruce, what is a Bowser?   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

grinch

Ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has left the building!
Peter Mason CLC #24665
Charlotte, NC
1968 Deville Convertible in progress
1989 Sedan DeVille