News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1963 Hydramatic question

Started by Rob ziegenbein, June 20, 2009, 11:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob ziegenbein

Hello everyone,

I have set  the TV rod on the trans per my shop manual,  set the accelerator height etc as well  (pedal to the floor matches the carb full open throttle)

Downshift question:
unless I am wrong in my observations it seems as though the trans doesn't downshift from 4th gear to say 3rd or 2nd gear when slowing from say 40 mph to 20 to 25 mph....  when I
push the gas at 20 to 25 mph to accelelerate back to 40 mph the trans lugs the engine (vibrates the car a bit), feels as if the trans should be in a lower gear but didn't shift down....    my thought is the trans should have come down to a lower gear to allow the engine to accelerate the car better.   When I come to a full stop the trans downshifts to first with no problem and it accelerates back up through all the gears fine.

Upshift question:
I think I am still having a problem coordinating the engine RPM to Trans shifting function,  but then again I don't have a lot of knowlege about this trans and it's normal functions.
- how does one change the tv rod to lengthen the time the trans takes to shift upto 4th gear?  (seems to shift thru the gears a bit fast) not sure if I need to shorten the TV rod with the lock  nuts or lengthen it.   I set the trunion by the book , it's mid way on the threaded portion of the trans lever by the carb.

I hope this makes sense and if anyone can help that would be great.   

Rob

Dave Shepherd

To lengthen the shifts, as you say, the tv rod should be shorter, more threads showing at the front of the adjustment block on the carb connection.