News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Flywheel Cover Bolts

Started by malatu, June 21, 2009, 09:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malatu

I have a flywheel cover to install on a 37 Lasalle.  I don't have the original bolts.  Any suggestions as to how to determine their size.  Are there any other bolts used in the car that are the same I can use to match up?

Thanks.
Mark B.
CLC # 24478

Mark Lowery

Mark,
I am amazed to see you've received no reply!  I'm suffering the same fate w/ my inquiry about a modern equivalent to the color Flare Red for wheels (35 reads, no replies).  Alas, my parts are about 150 miles away, and I won't be back there until the 2nd week of July.  My recollection is that they are 1/4 x20, but can't remember if they are hex head, slotted pan head or other.  Hopefully someone will read this and simply crawl under a like model Cadillac or LaSalle and get back to you. 

Mark L, CLC #25216

The Tassie Devil(le)

I don't have a clue myself, but the thread will be National Coarse, and if it is a tin cover, then the lengths won't be that long.

If 1936 is the same, then I will have my mate in CT to go and take a squiz at his.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

harvey b

Hello Mark,i have a 60 series 37 caddy,i removed one of the bolts and they wer a 3/8 coarse threaded,about 3/4 long thread,with a regular 6 point hex head on it,i did not rebuild the engine in my car and have never had it out of the frame either,i have no reason to think these bolts were not original to the car,they have the 3 little lines in the head to mark them as grade 5 bolts?there are no washers on them either?.HTH Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

harry s

There is also a heavy reinforcing plate that goes between the pan and the bell housing.
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

A question like this is why everyone doing one of these cars should have a repo copy of the parts book.  Resource books are a very minor cost compared to parts that go on the car.  The bolts are group number 8.0292, part number 122119.  They are 3/8"-16 X 3/4".  The 37 large series cars had some different lengths depending on model.  Much easier to look this up than getting under the car.  If the old bolts have 3 marks on them they are not original.  No bolts that I know of on the flat head engine had modern SAE markings on them.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

malatu

Thanks all very much for the replies.  What a great club and site!
Mark B.
CLC # 24478