News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Increasing cranking power on the old flatheads

Started by Bill Bickle 15098, June 29, 2009, 12:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Bickle 15098

I read an article on the use of hooking up 2 optima batteries (6 volt) to increase the cranking power and getting better starting performance yet maintaining the six volt system as is. Does anyone recall this article.  I can't remember whether it was in the Self-Starter or Hemmings. Can anyone help me in this matter?

Don Boshara #594

Bill,
I've got one 6v Optima in my '40 Cadillac and it cranks great hot or cold (or as cold as it gets in Florida). If you need two you've got other problems.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Bill: Here is the picture from the article by Fred Zwicker.  If you go to the top of this page click on search and then put in Fred Zwicker, you will get his fine article. I tried it and the article came up with no problem.  Bill

Doug Houston

Don Boshara said it pretty well. These starters crank the engine very well, if they're assembled with clean surfaces on all of their pieces.

Fred Zwicker is happy with his rig, though I had once discussed it with him. He's happy; his car starts well, and I can't argue with that. One Optima starts my engines beautifully.

Don't get the idea of "sending it out and having it rebuilt". I've seen some horrible results of sledge hammer rebuilders' work. Go at it methodically, and make sure that your  rebuilder is competent.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Bill Bickle

Thanks for your input guys.  I appreciate it.

Fred Zwicker #23106

Doug is absolutely right - one Optima should start any flathead engine easily if eveyrthng else is OK.  Unfortunately, everything is not always OK on a 60-year old car. If you are worried about originality, installing one or two Optimas is no longer original, but if you want the car to start quickly, both Doug and I recommend Optima batteries (he likes one - I like two, but admit that one is normally more than adequate). 

There is nothing more frustrating than showing someone a beautifully restored car on a nice summer day and have the car either not start, or barely start.  Most of us have been there at one time in our lives.  I drove my LaSalle to our paint supplier 3 years ago to have the paint color scanned (before my restoration) and the owner wanted to see my car and wanted to hear it run.  Even though it had a brand new 6-volt battery, it cranked very slowly and barely fired up.  That was it for me, so I went the Optima battery route and have never regretted my decision.

I installed two Optimas for the following reasons:

1) Two fit into the same space as the former (original) battery, so no rattles. (Since under the carpet, not exposed for judging).
2) I wanted to prove to myself and others that such a setup is possible and in some cases practical.
3) I like "overkill" and always found out that overkill is sometimes the safest bet.
4) I love to hear a fast turnover of any car when it is starting and my dual Optimas really do the job.

Fred
See my website and click down to "Technical Stuff" to see how I installed two Optima batteries in my 1939 LaSalle.
www.fzoldcars.com
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Jeff Maltby 4194

Slick idea Fred. I paid $99 for my 6V Optima at an Interstate battery distributor in 2004. Last time I checked, they were $158.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Bill Podany #19567

I have personally experienced the performance and reliability of installing two six volt Optima Batteries in my 41 60 Special.  I followed Fred Zwicker's methodology.  Once my car had been judged and awarded first place from the CCCA and the CLC in their respective Premier and Senior Winner Divisions, I installed the dual battery set up.  In the hot and humid climate in the Southeast, hot starts were slow and lumbering, and sometimes uncomfortable.  And no longer do I have to deal with keeping the battery properly filled and charged.  This works for my situation, and many thanks to Fred Zwicker, as well.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado