News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Interior Lights Question

Started by Quinton Bradford #25053, July 02, 2009, 10:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quinton Bradford #25053

Hello,
I'm wondering if my interior lights are working correctly in my 63 convertible.  If I open the drivers door, all lights come on except for the backseat courtesy lights.  If I open the passenger door, no interior lights come on.  If I open both doors, all interior lights come on.  My guess is that all interior lights should come on regardless of which door is open.
Quinton Bradford
1963 Cadillac DeVille - "Gertie"

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Quinton,
For whatever reason my '66 seems to ber the same.  I've had the cars for 15 years and never even thought about this until your post.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Quinton Bradford #25053

Thanks Greg,
part of me thinks all interior lights should come on if either door opens.  And then again, most people who ride in the back get in on the passenger side.  I don't know if its wired correctly or not, but give me enough time and I can justify anything!
Quinton Bradford
1963 Cadillac DeVille - "Gertie"

grinch

I had the same problem on my '68.  I pulled the door switches and cleaned the contacts.  There are multiple contacts on these switches and, for some reason, they run the rear lights on the different contacts.  Once I cleaned them, all came on at the same time.  I also have a switch near the driver's side rear courtesy light (in the front of the side panel, next to the seat) that turns the rear lights on when needed.  As I recall, I had to clean that contact for some reason as well.  If the car has been sitting like mine has, these switches are a good place to start.
Peter Mason CLC #24665
Charlotte, NC
1968 Deville Convertible in progress
1989 Sedan DeVille