News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What Car Show and Who's Here?

Started by Tom Hall 7485, July 03, 2009, 01:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Hall 7485

Any idea what car show this is?  The decoration in the background may be a clue.  There is a Pontiac sign in the background, also.  Who are the people in the photo?  The man beside the car is wearing a badge, so he may be a dealer or salesman.  Has anyone seen this photo before? 
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Tom, that's me sitting on the back seat & it was taken at the ......   Sorry, just kidding. That stringed thing off to the right looks familiar. Was it in the early 53 Eldo picture? I not sure what I like better, the car or the guys clothes. Note the "salesman" 2 tone shoes. LOL. Also, anyone with ANY question as to the correct WW width in 53, there it is! Hope you get some action. Bob   PS, congrats on your award at the GN.
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

The Tassie Devil(le)

It isn't an Eldorado because of the straight line between the doors and the rear fender.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bruce, I didn't say it was an Eldorado! And I certainly know the difference. I said that the stringed thing in the picture MAY have been in the first 53 Eldo publicity picture. That might have helped determine where this picture was taken. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Is that a Packard behind the Cadillac?  The man with the snazzy shoes sure looks like my late dad, but he was selling lumber, not cars, in 1953.

Tom Hall 7485

Thanks for your replies.  The car in the background is apparently a 1953 Pontiac De Luxe or Chieftain.

veesixteen

That was taken at the 1959 Motorama show in New York.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Yann,

Do you mean 1953? It's hard to tell from your picture what year the sign says but why would 1959 have a bunch of 1953 cars?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Walter Youshock

I think he hit the "9" by accident.  That's the '53 Motorama pictured.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Tom Hall 7485

Okay, thanks very much.  Motorama at the Waldorf-Astoria, maybe late-January 1953 (but
not a January color sportcoat - in those days gentlemen wore light colors in the summer).

The giant boomerang is above and behind the people but not shown in my photo.  Do you
know the name of this room?

I'm a little surprised to see that the cars got rearranged.  The car in my photo is indeed
a Series 62, not an Eldorado.  There are not very many people in the photo, which leads
me to think this is a time not open to the public, maybe a preview night.  The carpet
doesn't seem to have been walked on by thousands of people yet.

Who worked the Cadillac display at the 1953 Motorama?  Factory staff only?  There were
certainly plenty of GM employees at NY Branch who could have come over to work the
show, as well as District personnel.  Did staff from independent dealerships also work the
show?  (Salespeople from various Chicago dealerships worked the Chicago Auto Show,
so I'm wondering if it was likewise for this Motorama.)