News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 exhaust port installation

Started by M. Lipinski, July 07, 2009, 12:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Lipinski

Just purchased a pair of exhaust port assemblies from McVey's (very nice but pricey). I  understand how it all fits into the bumper ends, but not sure how the flange going towards the exhaust pipe is supposed to connect to the exhaust pipe.  The flange is square with a small hole at each corner.  Is it supposed to mate up to a similar flange on the exhaust pipe?  If anyone has any diagrams or pics or description I would appreciate it.  The service manual doesn't go into very much detail.  Thanks .  Mike

Otto Skorzeny

The exhaust pipes hang free in the bumper ends to allow for flexing, etc.

That flange originally had a flat piece of rubber/cloth stuff (like exhaust hangers are made of) with a hole in it for the tailpipe to slide through and sort of hang there.

I have a set of those from MCvey's that I bought in 2002. I used a section of radiator hose that fit over my tailpipe and slipped into the exhaust port. It works just fine and functions the same way the other does but is easier to install. It's not visible so unless you're showing the vehicle for points judging, I wouldn't worry about it.

Be sure to use all stainless steel nuts, washers and bolts to hold all the bezels, etc. together. Don't just go to Home Depot, go to a regular hardware store and buy the best ones they have.Brass would work, too.

I coated the inside of my "s" pipe with a rust proofing agent but I don't really think that's necessary. They are good quality pieces.

Look for another thread on this subject with the search function. I posted a diagram. If I can find it on my computer, I'll email it to you.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

J. Gomez

Mike,

In addition to Otto's comments, attached is the exhaust section from the part manual, although this shows the '54 & '55 models, 1956 uses the same technique. Pipes are inserted through the rubber insulator.

Hope this helps..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

M. Lipinski

Thanks to both of you for the excellent info (both the sketch and diagram help a lot).  I will get going on the installation.  Cadillac sure had a simple solution, didn't they?

Mike