News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Help in finding a rebuilder for a 1956 Cadillac steering box

Started by Chuck Dykstra, July 09, 2009, 05:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Dykstra

My steering has a lot of slop in it and I was told my steering box has too much play. Can someone point me in the right direction and tell me how much of a big deal that would be to take this thing off the car now?
Thanks for your help!
Chuck

Otto Skorzeny

Damn Chuck! I did mine when I rebuilt the suspension. I'll see If I can find the information for you. Others may know of a place in Michigan near you.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Chuck Dykstra

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on July 09, 2009, 06:02:13 PM
Damn Chuck! I did mine when I rebuilt the suspension. I'll see If I can find the information for you. Others may know of a place in Michigan near you.
When I bought the car, Forrest, I was told that the suspension was all done already. It all "looked" nice.  To much assuming on my part, I guess! Guys like me are out there to make the rest of you look like brainiacs Thanks for whatever you can tell me. Don't limit yourself to Michigan. Most everybody has left the state anyway! Just kidding. Chuck

Otto Skorzeny

Ain't no brainiacs here.

We've all done stuff like that more than once.

The thing is, we're supposed to learn from those mistakes but I keep making them for some reason.
fward

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Chuck,

I've spent a lot of money getting my 56 CDV steering gear rebuilt, twice. Neither did the job. Then I found a NOS pitman arm gear, now I have a nice, no slop, 56 Cad which steers very nicely.

So be careful. The rebuilds are expensive, but unless they can put the new gear in it is uesless. Trust this loser on this. Of course I've had the 56 for over 30 years so am learining about how to restore her.

washburn
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Coupe

Try Lares Corporation in Cambrigde, MN. They rebuilt the steering box for my '57. I know of others that have had their's rebuilt by Lares and were well satisfied.
Here's the link:

http://www.larescorp.com/
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Christopher Petti

I'm in the same boat. I have the kit and am ready to restore the gear box. But with everything else it just might be easier to find Someone locally that does these. I am also in Michigan. If I wait to long I just might get around to doing it myself.
And uses too much gas
Some folks say it's too old
And that it goes too fast
But my love is bigger than a Honda
It's bigger than a Subaru
Hey man there's only one thing
And one car that will do
Anyway we don't have to drive it
Honey we can park it out in back
And have a party in your pink Cadillac

walt chomosh #23510

Chuck,
  I assume you did all the adjustments to the steering box per manual? May I ask how many miles are on your original unit?....walt...tulsa,ok 

carguyblack

Sorry guys for forgetting to respond to you but I've had several other "failures" since then that have taken my attention. In answer to your questions, the car shows about 50K on the odometer, probably means 150K? The car was quite junky so it was no 50k cherry. We turned the adjuster bolt on the top of the steering box down just a turn and now I've driven it a bit. Made quite a difference but I think we can turn it down a bit more. The "return" in the wheel is still fine and I'm told that's when you know you've gone too far when you need to hand crank the steering wheel both directions. The suspension and steering still seems squirrely and when I hit bumps it takes me all over the place. Better than before, but not good. I do have "cement" tires on the car (poly wide whites) so I'm sure that has something to do with it, right? Quite dissappointing from what I'd expect the ride to be with a 5000 lb car.  Thanks for your input! Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Otto Skorzeny

Chuck,

Even with bias Ply tires the ride of your car should be excellent.

As you know, my '56 is my only car and I take long trips in it. I only put radials on it a year or so ago.

Before that I drove with Firestone Champions from Coker 8.20x15.  I drove to Florida several times with those and to Cleveland, Ohio averageing around 70mph. I had no complaints about the handling or the ride.

The only weirdness occurred on a steep downgrade in Tennessee where the entire road surface was grooved in preparation for re-paving. That was the only time in the last 8 years I felt scared behind the wheel of that car. Normal grooves in the roadway would sometimes catch the bias plies but the car is so heavy and tracks so straight and true that the occasional wander didn't cause much of a stir.

I now have radials. I wouldn't call the handling better, just different. One thing I don't like about radials is that the soft sidewall causes body roll and lean around bends and corners where there is virtually none with bias ply tires.

On the plus side, the radials will last a lot more than 10,000 miles.

Anyway, back to you: Your car should handle just fine with bias plys and track straight and true. Hitting bumps shouldn't cause the steering to be squirrelly at all.
fward

Walter Youshock

I agree with Forrest.  I live in Scranton, PA, notorious for the WORST roads in the country.  81 is the worst of the worst.  The tires will pick up a groove and kind of "go" with it, but bounces aren't a problem.

Another thing with bias is that the original air pressure was 24 psi.  Bias tires don't like a lot of air.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Otto Skorzeny

I always kept 28psi in my bias ply tires for highway cruising/trips. If you're driving on really crappy roads all the time use less air.
fward