News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 air cleaner question

Started by Bob Hoffmann CLC#96, July 12, 2009, 07:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I know someone did a great job on this some years ago. What is the difference between the air cleaners used on a Stromberg carb. as opposed to a Carter carb? Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Bob,

Interestng question, I thought that the air cleaners were all the same.

I've got both Carter and Stromberg Carbs and they fit fine in the existing air cleaner. The LaSalle came with a Stromberg in 37, after that they came standard with Carter Carbs and I see no difference in the air cleaner.

But what do I know.

John Washburn
CLc #1067
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Bill Ingler #7799

Bob & John: If my memory is correct it has to do with the clearence in the air cleaner distance between the front of the carb and the round portion of the air cleaner that held the oil bath. I think the front of either the Carter or the Stromberg air horn was deeper front to back and required an air cleaner that offered a different clearence to go with that particular carb. There are different air cleaners as you can see by the master parts book. Different air cleaner in 37 as well as 40-41 were offered when a Carter or Stromberg were used. I go along with John as I have used both a Carter and Stromberg on my 41 with the same air cleaner and no problem.

Bob Schuman

Bob,
The air cleaner for the Carter carburetor has a longer dimension from the carb air horn to the back of the horizontal cylindrical portion of the air cleaner than the one for the Stromberg. Either one can be used on either carb, but on some models the link on the Carter that operates the metering rods and accelerator pump will hit the back of the Stromberg air cleaner cylinder when the throttle is opened. This happened on my 40 LaSalle with a postwar Carter, easily fixed with  a dent induced by a ball peen hammer.
I'm not familiar with the details of the pre-41 parts, so all of this may not apply to them.
BobSchuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5