News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Fuel Tank Repair

Started by Eric Falk, July 12, 2009, 11:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Falk

Does anyone know if the outlet fitting on the tank was soldered or welded from the factory.  Mine was leaking so I removed the tank to repair it and discovered the fitting was soldered in place.  I don't have a lot of experience with fuel tanks but I don't recall ever seeing one that had the fitting soldered in place.  If it was that way from the factory I will resolder it, otherwise I will TIG weld it.

Any information regarding the repair is welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Are you referring to the pipe plug that drains the tank -- or ???

Please advise and I'm sure we can help.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Eric Falk

Sorry for the ambiguity.  I'm referring to the fitting where the steel fuel line is attached.  Specifically, the fuel line that goes to the carb.

Misfit

I'm not exactly sure how it is mounted to the tank, but I will suggest you make sure that tank is totally free of vapors before you strike an arc on it or solder. Otherwise you'll never have to worry about it again.

MisFit

harvey b

Hi Eric, the fittings were soldered to the tank when they were new,try to find a radiator shop that still uses solder for its repairs,they should be able to re solder it for you,they use a big heated stick to warm up the area for soldering,they do not use a flame in the area at all.any good shop should be able to help you out.HTH Harvey B
Harvey Bowness

Otto Skorzeny

If it's a pain in the neck or not cost effective to repair, these brand new tanks are excellent.

http://www.classiccarautoparts.com/gastanks.html

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Eric Falk

I had a radiator shop solder the fitting to the tank.  I hooked up the line and it leaked.  I installed a new line and discovred that the male fitting on the line will tighten to the female fitting on the tank but the end of the fuel line wont seat to the bottom of the female fitting on the tank.  There is about 3/16" slop between the line and fitting.

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be another fitting between the tank fitting and the fuel line fitting? 

Thanks.

Roger Zimmermann

Yes Eric, you lost something! It's a small tube made of a soft material to insure a leak free connection. You can do one in brass if you have a small lathe.
Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Coupe

Roger, Is this the same ferrule like fitting as used in '57 and '58? If so a post on the Buy/Sell forum should find a member with one to sell.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Eric Falk

Roger,

Thanks for the information.  After writing my last post I was standing next to my work bench thinking that I needed some type of extension between the fuel line and the tank fitting.  Just then I looked down and saw the small brass tube on my work bench.  I remembered finding it on the ground near where I cleaned the tank.  I didn't know that it was part of the tank but kept it anyway.  I looked at it closely at the tube and saw impressions in it that were consistent with being in the tanks fitting.  I put it in, tightened the fuel line, and presto...... no more leak.

Thanks again,

Eric 

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Eric,

Your event reminded me of the round "Washer" that I found on the floor when I removed the Transmission from the engine in my '60.

It is unreal when finding something and not knowing where it came from, but locating the reason for it being somewhere really takes a load off one's mind.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeff Maltby 4194

I recently had a brass ferrule made up for a friends 50 sedan tank that he had lost. I had the machine shop duplicate my 49 tank ferrule for $30. Turns out the 50 ferrule is a smaller diameter then the 49, so he had to have it turned down to fit in the hole. From my experience, the 48 tanks do not require a ferrule so 49 was the first year, then in 50, they changed the ferrule and threaded fuel line connection size 1950 and up. Why the factory started using these is beyond me ? Am I correct in assuming 48 and under tanks did not use a ferrule ?

I have a picture of my 49 and the new ferrule if someone needs to see them ? Email me direct as it's too large to post here.

Jeffo 49er chapter :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Eric Falk

For the benefit of others I have attached a photo of the ferrell that solved my problem.  For those of you considering removin your fuel tank remember to look for and retain this part. 

Thanks to each of you that provided assistance and good luck to those of you who are dealing with fuel tank issues.

Charlie Petty

I lost this ferrule too, and I fabricated a female fitting without it, however, I suspect that without it, the pump may be sucking air.  I think the ferrule may seal the end of the pick-up tube were it enters the tank fitting-i.e., it seals a line end on both sides.  Can anyone confirm this?
IF so, does anyone have a ferrule for a '56 lying around for sale?  THANKS.   

Roger Zimmermann

Charlie, it was used from 1950 to 1958, part number 145 7033. You can (let) fabricate it with soft brass.
Roger
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

mario

gentlemen:
my 1949 club coupe has one.
ciao,
mario

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: mario on July 27, 2009, 04:41:03 PM

my 1949 club coupe has one.

Yes, but it's not the same part number!
Roger
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

mario

"Yes, but it's not the same part number!"

didn't say that it had the same part number, i said my 1949 club coup had one. seeing how it had no number stamped on it when i inspected it, it's going to be hard to prove what the part number is for the one i have, after all, a brass ferrule by any other part number is still a brass ferrule.
ciao,
mario

Charlie Petty

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann #21015 on July 26, 2009, 03:21:56 AM
Charlie, it was used from 1950 to 1958, part number 145 7033. You can (let) fabricate it with soft brass.
Roger

Thanks Roger.  I wonder if they are available as repro?  Other GM must have used them, no? 

Charlie