News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Illuminated Entry Question

Started by Dennis DiNorcia, July 13, 2009, 02:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis DiNorcia

I just noticed on my 1989 DeVille that the illumintaed entry does not work on the driver side of the car. When i open the passenger side it works normal. When i open the driver side, or just press in the button with the doors locked the lights do not come on inside. All the courtesy lights light up when any of the doors are opened. Is there a switch assembly on the handle that will activate the lights? Thanks for the help.

Walter Youshock

Yep--the switch activates with the handle knob.

Try spraying some WD-40 in the knob.  Maybe there is some gunk on the contacts.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Guidematic

The wires are notorious for corroding and falling off on these handles, or the connector in the door corrodes away. The most common reason for them not working.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Dennis DiNorcia

Thanks, I will try your suggestions this weekend.

Dennis DiNorcia

Just an update, I now noticed that the passenger side handle does not activate the illuminated entry system. Is it a coincidence that the wires are off on both handles? Is there a relay that turns the lights off after the delay period that could have gone bad and is keeping them off all the time.

Guidematic

Yes, it is possible that the wired corroded off both doors. I had this same issue with my '86 Fleetwood. Both were off.

I believe on the C-cars, the input from the momentary switch is fed to the BCM, which then completed the circuit to the relay turning on the lights. The BCM times the lights and turns them of if they time out, or the ignition key is turned to the run position.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Dennis DiNorcia

Tried the WD40 in both buttons and I got the driver's side to work fine but the passenger still needs a little fiddling before the lights will come on. It might need a little more WD40 and some more playing for it to work. I will try squirting it again and if that does not work I will open up the door panel and see what is going on. Thanks for the help.