News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

59 cad pitman arm recall

Started by john mcniff, July 13, 2009, 05:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john mcniff

hi. does any know how to tell if the pitman arm in my car was ever changed ? I was to;d ypu cpuld tell by the part number ...also mine appears to have  a bead of welding at the steering tube connection...thanks

35-709

Here is a posting I found by putting "59 Cadillac pitman arm" in the SEARCH function of this site, made by the author of an article in the Self-Starter sometime ago about the '59 pitman arm recall.  As you can see the "good" number is 1038, the recalled number is 1035.  You can read all of the threads that I found the posting below at by following this link ---
http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php/topic,73885.0.htm 

Dave Greenburg (3830)

Re: 1960 pitman arm
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 03:57:54 am »

As the author of the initial Self Starter article back in January, I must respectfully disagree anyone downplaying the pitman arm problem, including Mr. Templin, the former GM engineer.  GM has been downplaying the pitman arm issue since 1960 (I have copies of internal GM memos from 1960-61 discussing pitman arm breakage on these cars).  The reality is that the "non- 1038"  arms are not all "bad;" some will apparently meet the hardness specification, and many have obviously lasted all these years.  But there is no question that others can and will break. As explained in my article, if they break, it is invariably in slow-speed, high stress situations. If you are concerned about this and cant find a "1038" arm, I would suggest having your arm tested.  Mike West, the Club 59-60 technical expert who responded to my article actually had several tested; it is apparently not a big deal.  Im done debating people in the Self-Starter about this, but am happy to share information with anyone who is interested in this issue.

Dave Greenburg
59 Fleetwood 60S

Geoff N.

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Just for conversation's sake, Robert Templin was Chief Engineer, Cadillac Motor Division.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-