News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Coupe Deville--New Owner in UK

Started by Kurt Wrebel, July 15, 2009, 03:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurt Wrebel

Hi
My name is Kurt, I live in the UK, and I've just joined the C&LC. I have just bought a 1957 Coupe Deville. It is all original and running, but  will need a rolling restoration; nothing serious because overall it's in great condition, but it does need work. All of the trim and most of the badges are on the car and even the original radio works, plus the original aerial / antenna. The original interior is in great condition except for the drivers section of the bench seat. The bodwork isn't too bad, just some cutting out and repairing and then a bare metal paint job.

I'm looking for tips on where to get parts like rubber trim and badges and little stuff like that at the moment. Also the largest thing I'm looking to buy is the passenger side rear light cluster. Not the fuel filler side. Cadillacs Only have one, but I thought I'd check to see if anyone on the forum has one for sale.

It'd be great to converse with anyone who's already been down this road.

Kurt

Joe Manna

Kurt,

WELCOME to the club!.You will find a lot of helpful people on here and through the magazine"The Self-Starter".

As far as the rubber parts that you might need,go to www.steelerubber.com

You can also try www.Mcveys.com.they might have emblems and things like that.

My grandfather drove a 57 CdV,from 1962-1970.His was white with a Gray top.

Lots of luck with yours and I hope the info I have given you,was helpful.

Regards,
Joe

1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX

Chris Conklin

Welcome Kurt,

Another place is USA Parts, http://www.usaautoparts.com/. And keep a well stocked check book and liquor cabinet.  ;D
Chris Conklin

kelly

Hello and welcome, Kurt.
  I restored a 1957 Fleetwood 75 series between 2001 and 2005. Many of the elements are the same as your car, so I would be happy to help anyway I can.  Steele Rubber Products is an excellent source for many weatherstrips and rubber mouldings/snubbers. If you have specific questions I can address, you may also contact directly at kmartin@bigtube.net.
  Best of wishes,
Kelly Martin
Kelly Martin
1957 Fleetwood 75
2008 DTS

Kurt Wrebel

Hi Joe. Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the links - I'll check them out, I'm sure they will helpful. My car was imported about two years ago, and also belonged to an old gent who eventually passed away and left it to his son, who sold it. All the seats are hardly worn except the drivers seat. So I get the feeling it was that old man's pride and joy for many years. All the more reason to return it to it's former glory.

Kurt

Walter Youshock

Yes, Welcome Aboard!

All I can say, from 16 years of experience, is "GOOD LUCK"!!!!!!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Kurt Wrebel

Hi Kelly, thanks for the link, I'll be sure to check it out. Meanwhile, because you restored a 1957 Fleetwood, perhaps you can help me with a question: Where's the windscreen wiper switch on these cars?

Kind regards,

Kurt

Quote from: kelly on July 15, 2009, 10:38:19 PM
Hello and welcome, Kurt.
  I restored a 1957 Fleetwood 75 series between 2001 and 2005. Many of the elements are the same as your car, so I would be happy to help anyway I can.  Steele Rubber Products is an excellent source for many weatherstrips and rubber mouldings/snubbers. If you have specific questions I can address, you may also contact directly at kmartin@bigtube.net.
  Best of wishes,
Kelly Martin

Walter Youshock

The wiper switch is on the driver's dog-leg, below the window switches.  It slides forward.  The button is for the washers.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Kurt Wrebel

Thanks Walter...I wondered what that sliding switch was for. Now I know where the wiper controls are, I also know that my wipers don't work. Another job to the list....

Regards,

Kurt

kelly

Kurt,
  Good luck with the wipers.  The system is vacuum operated, and not easy to  sort out. If you have leaks it will also give you some idle/driveability issues. Set up your car with the wiper system plugged, so you will know where correct is. Lokk for leaks when you connect the wiper/washer system. It's simple...but complicated.
Kelly Martin
Kelly Martin
1957 Fleetwood 75
2008 DTS

Walter Youshock

First, get the motor rebuilt.  Contact Ficken Wiper in NY--http://www.wiperman.com.  Also, never force the switch if it is tight.  You can bend the cable or snap the switch tab off.  You're in for a lotta fun!!!!!!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

jaxops

Quote from: Walter Youshock on July 17, 2009, 09:13:11 AM
First, get the motor rebuilt.  Contact Ficken Wiper in NY--http://www.wiperman.com.  Also, never force the switch if it is tight.  You can bend the cable or snap the switch tab off.  You're in for a lotta fun!!!!!!

Welcome Kurt.  Walter is right about the switches and levers.  My Dad [a strong fellow sometimes lacking in patience] forced the heater/fan levers on the sides of the speedometer and snapped the little finger handle off.  We had to install a replacement with all of the associated cables since it is a mechanical levering device.  I have a friend restoring a 57 Eldorado.  The best of luck to you!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Kurt Wrebel

Hi Mark, Yes, I'll take your's and Walter's advice and be careful with that sliding wiper control switch. At present, it's not seized at all, it just slides along with a little resistance. I've learned not to force anything on these old cars. Living in England where these cars are extremely rare and used parts even more rare if not non existant we have to be very careful. I know that parts are expensive for you guys, but I've got overseas shipping costs on top. However, having said that, my Old Deville has all her bits and is in general good general order. I've fiddled with the heater controls and the blower works fine.
But here's my next question: Next to the sliding wiper control switch, what's the little button for? And, with the wipers being vaccum controled, do they only work with the motor running?

Regards,

Kurt...

Quote from: jaxops on July 17, 2009, 09:19:29 AM
Welcome Kurt.  Walter is right about the switches and levers.  My Dad [a strong fellow sometimes lacking in patience] forced the heater/fan levers on the sides of the speedometer and snapped the little finger handle off.  We had to install a replacement with all of the associated cables since it is a mechanical levering device.  I have a friend restoring a 57 Eldorado.  The best of luck to you!

Walter Youshock

Yes, they ONLY work with the car running.  The button is for the washers.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Quote from: Walter Youshock on July 17, 2009, 02:48:51 PM
Yes, they ONLY work with the car running. 
And they don't work too well with the engine running. You have a choice of fast acceleration or fast wipers; you just can't have both at the same time.

Joe Manna

Good ol'vacuum wipers.They go like hell at a stop light,but don't work too well cruising down the highway!
1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX

Otto Skorzeny

Buy some Rain-X and you won't have to worry about them.

I use that stuff on all cars, even those with electric wipers. It works great, even in driving gales.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Kurt Wrebel

Rain-X? That sounds like good stuff. But the wipers need to work for me to get the car through it's MOT, which basically stands for 'ministry of transport test', the same as your 'safety,' I believe.

Kurt....

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on July 17, 2009, 04:18:22 PM
Buy some Rain-X and you won't have to worry about them.

I use that stuff on all cars, even those with electric wipers. It works great, even in driving gales.

Walter Youshock

That's why I call them "SUCK and BLOW".   Why could you have bought a new Chevy for $3,000 with electric wipers and Fuel Injection, but a $5,500 Cadillac still came with only vacuum wipers and a carburetor--or 2?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Derby,

Yes, get them working but don't bother using them. Mine work but I love Rain-X.

I don't know if it's available in England but maybe you can order some.

Basically, the rain instantly beads up and blows off your windshield as soon as it hits. No wipers needed. It's sort of a clear wax for windshields. It lasts pretty long too.

http://www.rainx.com/Products/Windshield_Treatment/Original.aspx
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE