News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1984 Cadillac Eldorado

Started by simp35, July 22, 2009, 09:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simp35

right now I have a HT4100 in the car. but would like to know if I can put a 350 engine, or what would be the best other then the HT4100 
I also heard I can put a 4.5L but don't know what car to get one from

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

From what I have learned on this board, you can replace the HT4100 with a 350, but it is a very difficult job particularly since some of the 350's are carbureted and the electronics of the fuel injected ones don't correspond to those of the HT4100. The 4.5 and 4.9 won't work because they were built only for transverse, not longitudinal installation.

bcroe

You certainly can add a 79/80 carb small block engine without much trouble.  My choice would be an Olds 403, 350, or 5L, depending on the performance you want.  These engines need a flywheel from a 79-85 E car (Riv/Toro) with an Olds V8.  A parts 79 Toro/Riv will give you all the parts you need & a 350. 

Adding some kind of fuel injected engine would mean transfering over all the computer controls with it, which may extend to other parts of the car.  You may also find your current engine computer affects other than engine functions as well.  Bruce Roe  CLC # 14630

Otto Skorzeny

Do a search of this forum for information about what to do with your 4100.

A recent thread describes the Goodwrench HT4100 replacement engine. This incorporates GM's improvements and corrections to the original design. Try to find one of those. The threads describe the differences and how to identify one.

If you're hoping for a bolt-in replacement engine of conventional design, none exists.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

TJ Hopland

Only way I would take on a swap like that is with a donor car.   The 4100 was different than any other motor so you will have to change all sorts of stuff which wont be a big deal if you have a whole car but if you have to track down and buy individually would probably cost you more than you could imagine.   Unless you are into total fabrication and custom work you will have to use a motor that was an option in one of these cars.  The FWD configuration has unique mounts,  oil pan, and exhaust manifolds to clear the drive train.  Oldsmobile V8's (gas and diesel) were used during the entire run of this body style which was 79-85.  Buick 3.8 and 4.1 v6 (even turbo 3.8's) were used most years.  80 and 81 used the Cadillac 368 which was based on the 472 / 500 /425 which opens up all sorts crazy performance options if thats what you are after.    There was never a chevy motor made for this configuration.   Its the Cad Eldo, Seville (with the funny trunk), Riv, and Toro you would be looking for.   Even a diesel would give you the parts you need to swap in a Olds gas engine.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

TJ is 100% correct.

I would look for a 1980 Eldorado for all of the needed parts, and you can use the 368 cast iron engine.  With the proper parts, it's a bolt in.

Here's the best website for the exact info you are looking for:

http://radar58.com/eldo/swap.html

Read the whole page, it will make your head spin...

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

bcroe

The beauty of the FWD 79-85 transmission, is that it will accept any engine used in those years such as 5L, 350, 368, turbo charged V6, or 4.1.  AND it will accept any front OR rear drive engine from the SAME  families, such as 403/455 Olds, 472/500/425 Cad, or diesel.  The same engine will work FWD or RWD, I have converted them both ways.  But the FWD needs the 79/85 FWD flywheel, exhaust manifolds, oil system including pan, pickup, & pump, and some other details.  So a parts car with an engine from the right family is good advice.  Changing to a carb mainly means changing the tank pickup or just the whole tank (parts car again) to eliminate the electric fuel pump. 

Getting a new engine properly fuel injected is probably a bigger project than the actual engine swap, these need some expertise.  My 79 Eldo has a 403 with original 350 fuel injection, but the ECU has been modified for the larger engine. 

A heavier engine will beg for a step larger torsion bars.  Bruce Roe  CLC # 14630

simp35

Thinks for the help it's new to me an now I ask this because I just got off the phone with The staff at remanufactured.com
an was told that  they had a swap for my car. I believe it was a 4.1 to4.5 273 V8 Custom upgrade 85-86 4.5 liter 'FWD or RWD as long as it sits front to back, Block #864, Head #556, 558, HSC heads, Eldorado & Seville only. Not transverse engine. or HT 4500 Cadillac Transverse one of the to but Im still talking to them an once I know more I'll be sure to let u know. but my ? is have anyone heard about this or had it done

TJ Hopland

I have heard of the 4100 to 4.5 conversion.  The front to back (longitudinal) vs transverse are the key differences.  The 4.5 and 4.9 were never made for longitudinal but I guess the 4.5 was not much different than the 4100 so the internals can be swapped.  The 4.9 had more changes so I guess that wont fit in the 4100 block.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

simp35

thanks TJ

John Paul

I would try to find an 307 olds set up from a riviera or tornado.. IMHO ;)