News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Under Hood Color

Started by Jack McClow CLC #15840, July 23, 2009, 05:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack McClow CLC #15840

What is the correct color for the underside of the hood for a '53 Cadillac?  Flat black (or whatever shade of black it should be) or body color?   Would this be the same for other GM products of 1953 as well do you suppose?

Thanks.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Jack, '41 was satin black, and it is probable that it was the same until they went to pads. Perhaps someone else can pin it down further.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Walter Youshock

Probably chassis black.  Definitely not body color.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Jack, The entire underside should be a satin black (very little gloss), including the hinges and mounting brackets. A vinyl covered hood pad with a jute backing is then glued on and is correct for a 53. I did a lot of research on this subject during the restoration. This is what it should look like.

Paul
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Thanks, everybody, for the info ........ it is very helpful.
And thanks for the picture, Paul ........ that is very useful, too.  And that is a very beautiful '53 CDV you have there.

Jack.

Ted in Olympia WA

Just to add to this Eldorados up through 1978 were all satin black also.  Don't know about later than this.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

It's not correct that all Eldorados up until 1978 were satin black. 

I have an ORIGINAL 1973 and the inner fender wells were most definitely GLOSS black
as well as the radiator support, etc.  I don't know when the change-over from satin to
gloss occurred prior to this.

As far as the 50's Eldorado's, the '55 inner fenders were BODY COLOR as well as the '56
and I believe the '54 as well.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Walter Youshock

And '57.  '58 went to black inner fenders.

Was your '73 built at Clark or Linden?  Wonder if that would make a difference in the gloss/satin?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Otto Skorzeny

I thought they were all built at Clark?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Ted in Olympia WA

Okay maybe I should have just said black, also I was talking more about under hood color and I don't think this is very gloss.  But you are right the inner fender are gloss.  But everything under the hood is black (of some finish) for up through 78 Eldorados.

Thanks for the correction.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

Walter Youshock

By '73, I think Linden was already opened.  Southgate started in the late '70's.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham