News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

My One And Only movie release details - 53 Eldorado

Started by Ross Morgan #22943, July 25, 2009, 07:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Morgan #22943

The movie trailer for My One and Only has just been released and can be seen at www.myoneandonly.com . The featurettes are interesting as well.  Stars include Renee Zellweger, Kevin Bacon, Chris Noth, Logan Lurman and others.  The movie premieres in NYC on the 18th August at the Paris Theatre and will be released at selected theatres on the 21st August.  Further information can be obtained at  www.wikipedia.org/ (type in My One and Only Film) and http://us.imdb.com/title/tt1185431/ ; .  The Netherlands get to see this movie first on the 20th August. Lucky Netherlands!!!

The movie is based on the early life of George Hamilton, the actor and is essentially played out as a road trip set in 1953. The good news is that the vehicle used is a 1953 Eldorado and is in many of the scenes including a Cadillac dealership (where the Eldo is purchased - other 53 models are in the showroom) and a drive-in theatre scene (so lots of interior footage of waffle trim, dash, dash script enough hopefully for the 53 fanatics.....).  The Eldo was Azure Blue but repainted to a less bright/light colour. This was done to match the movies colour palette and I guess to ensure it didn't "stand out" too much.  The chrome was dulled down using hairspray and dust!

The director, Richard Loncraine is a classic car collector - I think he has a small collection of older Citroens (?).  I know he was bitter about the French crushing cars in the '80's (?) sort of "cash for clunkers" because now he can't get parts!  Read - "he wants to spend money on classic cars but can't"?

Let's hope it's an enjoyable flick!

Regards, Ross.

76eldo

Chrome dulled down using hairspray and dust...

That's a very interesting tidbit of movie-making info.

I would like to hear more stuff like that.  There is a very interesting article in the new "Hemmings Classis Car" about a special order Dodge Charger that was used on a TV show back then, and the strange options needed for a car being used on a TV show.

The movie sounds interesting.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

okccadman

When they used my 56 Series 62 Coupe in the movie "The Killer Inside Me" which was partly filmed this summer in Oklahoma City, the production assistants sought out he "non shiny" cars in the crowd and sprinkled "movie dirt" as they called it on the clean shiny cars, much to the chagrin of owners who spent the previous day polishing and detailing!
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

76eldo

So all that stuff in my shop vac is actually valuable "movie dirt"?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Quentin Hall Australia

Hey Ross ,
             I read the synopsis and it's a 53 Coupe Deville conv . . . . and a bargain to boot at only $3500 1953 dollars.
             Nevertheless it looks like being my favourite film of 09. Some quirky funny bits .  Love that last pic in the photos section.
             I should have written a book (and the subsequent movie) about my drive from Boston to LA in 92 with a tempestuous girlfriend in my old 57 Biarritz.
             There was this great bit in Dallas where she kicked the #$%&^ out of the side of the Eldo with her new black and white cowhide boots, after I admired (admittedly slightly longer than I perhaps should have) a roadside billboard of a heavy chested young thing selling Coors.
             Q   

76eldo

...and you let her finish the drive to LA?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Ross Morgan #22943

There was a  "creative" technique that was used in this movie to fix engine overheating of the '53 Eldorado Hero car.

It's a remedy that I've not seen mentioned on this forum.  "The engine's running too hot and boiling - quick, do something"!!!.  No problem, 3 - 4 bags of crushed ice is quickly carried to the scene and placed in and around the engine bay!!!  I wish I was joking.  This was done many, many times until finally, about a week from the end of filming (moved from Baltimore to Albuquerque), someone that could tune the engine properly, did and from then on, no more problems.  We couldn't understand why the mechanics there could not do this in the first place.  Considering each day lost costs in the order of $100,000 -$200,000, it was an expensive mistake not to sort this out earlier.  However, there was an interesting Film production crewmember - I called him the "NO" man.  If you wanted something that cost money, then it went through him.  Sort of like trying to stop the evaporation of the budget when there were holes in the bucket.

It looks like a wonderful movie, lots of classic car scenes, jazz music and lots of  good fun!  And for those that believe all about the "6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon", there's Kevin Bacon! Ross.

Cadcliff

Ross:

Do you have any good pictures of the "dealership" scene with the 2 53 CDV's that I hauled down there for them to shoot with?
At $200K a day, I should have charged them a lot more for getting them cars that no one else was able to do, AND deliver them from LA within 24 hours of the request. That explains why they were calling me every hour or so as I was driving there from LA.

Cliff Graubard
Cliff Graubard
CLC #1430

1955 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon x3
1956 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon- One of two
1955 Eldorado- bronze
1961 Cadillac Biarritz-bucket seats
1964 CDV- Silver/Red Every option
1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1940 and 1941 60S
1961 Cadillac Convertible
1965 Cadillac Convertible

Ross Morgan #22943

Yes, just a few but I'll have to clear it with Herrick first.  That might take a few weeks.

I think you saved the day with the last minute sourcing the '53 Cadillacs in the right colours!  I believe the director Richard Loncraine was literally yelling at staff to get the cars!

An update on the Premiere (Tuesday 18th August) - Renee Zellweger will be driven to the Paris Theater, Manhattan in the Hero car (body #87) when the paparazzi will take photos of her, the other cast members and the car (I guess).  The '53 Eldo will look sharp but unfortunately they want the beautiful wire wheels taken off and replaced with the standard '53 wheels and hubcaps (also used in the movie).

Will there be a run on 50's Cadillacs and in particular the '53 Eldorado? 

Regards, Ross.

Otto Skorzeny

A "run" on '53 Eldos?

I don't think so. There aren't that many people who can afford to run to them.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

domer

I've been told that the movie Cadillac Records has features several Cadillacs throughout the movie.  Any thoughts? Any pictures of the cars?
Dominique Vasquez #24943
1959 Coupe Deville http://bit.ly/1XkRuZc
1994 Fleetwood  http://bit.ly/1OTqOf1

Ross Morgan

I'm not at my normal computer so I've had to login as a guest (can't remember my login details!).

Attached are several photos of the premiere last Tuesday Aug 18th '09 at the Paris Theatre, Manhattan.  The hero car (#87) used in the movie was used as a prop for the premiere.  George Hamilton made a lengthy speech to all the guests at the front of the theatre itself (the movie is based on George's life has a teenager).  Renee Zellweger, Logan Lerman, Mark Rendall, Aaron Ryder (the producer), and many others were there.  (Cindy Adams was there - is she a NY Times reviewer?).

The photos show the Eldorado driving down W 58th Street, New York and parked out the front of the theatre.

The movie was set in 1953 onwards and the '53 Eldo is in at least half of the scenes (because it's a road trip with some great street scenes) - you get to see alot of the car's interior as well.  As always, Kevin Bacon does a superb job and although a comedy, Logan's portrayal of George Hamilton was such that quite a few in the audience were either holding back or shedding a tear!

The movie is being released today at the Paris and at the AMC Vilage 7 theatres.  There is a review in today's NY Times.

Regards, Ross Morgan

Ross Morgan

Two more photos attached.

Ross.

Quentin Hall Australia

Ross,
       I see Tim in the driver's seat looking a million bucks and then some other hatless guy in the passengers seat .  I have said it before and I'll say it again; if you are going to own a 53 Eldo you have to look the part. When you get back to mundane reality please send me your hat size and I will send you an Akubra Statesman. Hopefully all the swanning around with movie stars in NYC hasn't swelled your head too much. 
       Regards. Q

Otto Skorzeny

They sure didn't leave much room with those barricades, did they? That dude could barely get out of the car.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

buicksplus

The showroom scene was shot in Albuquerque.  The production company called me and other local car club members looking for "new" 53 Cadillacs to fill the showroom.  As usual with these movie production folks, they needed the cars on site all day in just two days.

One of our locals has a '55 that I think was used and other 53's were trucked in from out of town.  There are not many '53 Cadillacs in Albuquerque.

Since the State of New Mexico has decided to offer extremely favorable financing (using taxpayer dollars, of course) for films partly made in NM, we get many calls from car coordinators looking for movie cars.  Most of these calls are unpleasant, they want specific years and models, they offer to pay almost nothing ($200 for a car and owner all day is typical), and they always seem to need the cars the very next day.  I understand that the movie folks have schedules and budgets to worry about, but the novelty has warn off for me.  In general, they are focused (no pun intended) on getting the movie made and have little respect for the old cars.

Still, it is fun and interesting to see a movie production and rub elbows with a few stars.  My LaSalle was in one a few years ago, though it ended up on the cutting room floor. 
Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700

Stewart Homan

Hilarious that they used an Eldo instead of a series 62 convertible - but refered to the car being a Coupe de Ville convertible - then made a big deal about fitting Sombrero's on the car so it would look 'right'!

We're shooting with Loncraine tomorrow on another movie here in England - I've bumped in to him from time to time over the years - never struck me as a real big time old car guy - just a bit of a Francophile...

Any idea when the flick comes to the UK?

Stew

Cadcliff

For days I was getting calls from NM looking for cars here in SoCal. Having had many experiences with "movie" people, I kept telling them that I had no interest in helping them.
Apparently their own "sources" could not locate anything within a 1000 miles.
After much begging, I found a car for them here in southern California in 20 minutes, then when I told them that I would be hauling down there on my 2 car trailer, they wanted to know if I would bring down a 55 4d from LA to also use in the showroom scene.

After a bit of a heated discussion on the differences between 53 and 55 I asked the director, "do you want me to find you ANOTHER 53 Cad"?
Another 20 minutes later and a few emails, it was done. Both cars are from local CLC members here in SoCal.

What started at noon on a Friday with phone calls and emails and requesting $$$ up front via PayPal, and dealing with traffic in SoCal on a Friday night, I finally had both cars loaded after 6 hours after leaving my house. THEN I drove straight through (mostly) to Albuqerque getting there about 6 pm Saturday night. They were ALL waiting as they had to do some prep to get the cars into the "showroom". Apparently they had the use of the building until 6am Monday morning as it was an actively used office building.

At a cost of almost $300K per day for the production company and stars to sit there, I should have charged them A LOT more $$$. :-)

Quote from: buicksplus on August 21, 2009, 11:40:05 PM
The showroom scene was shot in Albuquerque.  The production company called me and other local car club members looking for "new" 53 Cadillacs to fill the showroom.  As usual with these movie production folks, they needed the cars on site all day in just two days.

One of our locals has a '55 that I think was used and other 53's were trucked in from out of town.  There are not many '53 Cadillacs in Albuquerque.

Since the State of New Mexico has decided to offer extremely favorable financing (using taxpayer dollars, of course) for films partly made in NM, we get many calls from car coordinators looking for movie cars.  Most of these calls are unpleasant, they want specific years and models, they offer to pay almost nothing ($200 for a car and owner all day is typical), and they always seem to need the cars the very next day.  I understand that the movie folks have schedules and budgets to worry about, but the novelty has warn off for me.  In general, they are focused (no pun intended) on getting the movie made and have little respect for the old cars.

Still, it is fun and interesting to see a movie production and rub elbows with a few stars.  My LaSalle was in one a few years ago, though it ended up on the cutting room floor. 
Cliff Graubard
CLC #1430

1955 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon x3
1956 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon- One of two
1955 Eldorado- bronze
1961 Cadillac Biarritz-bucket seats
1964 CDV- Silver/Red Every option
1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1940 and 1941 60S
1961 Cadillac Convertible
1965 Cadillac Convertible

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Speaking of the "dulling" of chrome, that also happened to the 1941 60S used in Burt Lancaster's first film, "The Murderers." There is a great close up of the RH vent window and it has yuch all over the chrome. Lancaster had to "check the oil" and so when the car pulled up, the lady was "loose" and looking at the sky. But you could hear the "snick" of the oil filler cap going down the tube, so he was "checking" the oil like he should.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Vince Taliano #13852

Read more about the making of My One and Only in the October 2009 issue of the Caddie Chronicle.  See issue at http://www.clcpotomacregion.org/forms/CLCPR.0910Newsletter.pdf

Vince
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)