News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1984 Eldorado center cap key missing

Started by marcia, July 29, 2009, 09:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcia

Newly purchased, and old owner did not have the original key for the center cap wheel locks.  A check with the local Cadillac dealer says the keys are no longer available.  Are there any aftermarket sources for these keys or does anyone know the key maker?  Spoke to McGard and it is not theirs.  Ours is the blue key for that year. attached is a photo of our lock head that we need a matching key for.  thanks

Guidematic

I really do hate those *(&^ things! They always seem to strip out because of seized threads. But you need them to retain the wheel discs.

What I have done is to remove them and use short 3/8 16 bolts to hold on the covers. Then you can use a standard 9/16" socket to remove them. There is not the worry about theft of these covers anymore. No one wants them as they did in the past, thieves have moved on to other sorts of more lucrative wheel thefts.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

marcia

Thanks Mike,  Thats what we ended up doing.  We did, at a local hub cap center find a broken key for 15.00 bucks.  Thankfully there was enough of the key left to get the locks off but not to get them back on, so I guess the bolts will have to do.

thanks for the reply.

marcia