News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'60 Eldo questions

Started by Charlie Petty, July 29, 2009, 07:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Petty

I'm kinda poking around looking at a '60 Eldo.  It was on ebay recently.  Like to confirm some codes:
Paint #94-1
Top #1
Trim #53

Also, the dash pad is like a purple, on this light blue interior.  Sound right? 

Thanks
Charlie

Chris Conklin

I'm guessing by the trim code it is a Seville? They made 1,075 of them. Very nice car, one of the few hard-top Cadillacs I like.

Paint 94-1 = Body is Lucerne Blue, the # 1 is a redundancy of the top color code = Ivory. Is the top Ivory paint or vicodec?
Trim 53 = Locarno Blue Cardinal seat inserts (cloth or cardiff leather? choice of either material on the Seville), Locarno Blue Florentine Leather seat bolsters

Some features; there should be two leather flap covered map pockets on the front seat backs, nice touch on this year only (I believe), this car came standard with the "Q" engine (three dual-barrel carbs, 345bhp), also standard with air suspension (still operative?)... Any other codes you're curious about, accessories, power locks, A/C, etc.? As for the dash pad, not sure about the color you're describing. Any photos available? It would generally be color matched to the interior along with the steering wheel, I don't have good info on it but I would assume it started life matching the darker blue of the interior. Not sure, I'll check some other references when I can.

A beautiful and fairly rare car. Good luck to you if you decide to pursue it.
Chris Conklin

kyle

Is it the blue one that just ended? Nice car if you can get it for 18K - 20K.

Charlie Petty

Thanks Chris.  It is a Seville. Top is white Vicodec.  I believe the dash pad matches the steering wheel insert.  Cloth inserts in seats.   If you check ebay completed items search, you will find the listing with many pics.  

One thing holding me back is presence of couple tiny rust bubbles on each side above rear wheels.  I hate rust.  Body appears othewise extremely dry, and it is all steel under the paint right up to those spots.  Perplexing.

Charlie

Charlie Petty

Quote from: kyle on July 29, 2009, 08:56:09 PM
Is it the blue one that just ended? Nice car if you can get it for 18K - 20K.

That's an understatement!   

DinoBob

Oh geez. If that were all that was holding me back.

Good luck with it, should you decide to jump.
Bob Belloff

DinoBob

Grinkies. I looked at the pics. That is a niiiiice car.
Bob Belloff

veesixteen

My former 1960 Eldo Seville had paint code 99B (heather metallic with bucket seats). The dash and carpets were color coordinated a dark purple-lilac color to match the rest of the upholstery trim.  Most restorers will go with a black dash (wrong).  I guess your blue dash is probably original and authentic.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Chris Conklin

WOW! Beautiful car!! Again, one of my favorite hard-tops. And I like the cloth inserts better than all leather. There was another one listed recently in gold, another beautiful car. Wonder if they'll take a '66 Eldorado in trade.... ;D

If it is as good as it appears, in my very uninformed and amateur opinion, anything under $40K is a decent price. And I wouldn't be surprised if the reserve was around $45K, they tested the waters without reaching reserve or a decent offer for the vehicle. The economy is bad, but not so bad that you can get older (meaning low production) Eldorados in the low to mid 20's. Factory A/C, working or not, adds some dollars. Especially for this era car, A/C was still somewhat uncommon (a $473.60 option). And some bubbles around the skirts could almost be considered normal for the car at this age. The car was built with some fairly thick steel to begin with. I wouldn't let that sway your decision.

Best of luck, keep us posted!
Chris Conklin

Charlie Petty

Chris- This car is probably not as good as it looks in the pics, but it is a nice driver.  The interior and trunk are very original and good.  A/C works! One other drawback is modern air suspension compressor in trunk, although all original parts come with car.  $18-20K  mentioned above is not going to happen, even in this economy.     

Otto Skorzeny

Where are the pics of this car?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Chris Conklin

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on July 30, 2009, 10:40:19 PM
Where are the pics of this car?

Here's a link Forrest, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1960-Cadillac-Eldorado-Seville-Classic-Beauty_W0QQitemZ230359464411QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item35a27e79db&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245#ht_911wt_1334

Charlie, I noticed that compressor and was concerned the car may have been bagged, but it seemed to sit correctly so I figured it was just an "update". Again, beautiful car. Good luck!
Chris Conklin

Otto Skorzeny

That does look like a decent car.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

ray w.

Hey Veesixteen, where is that Heather Seville now? That sounds like my dream car, I would buy it immediately if I could find it. Thanks, Ray.

veesixteen

For those following this thread, I answered Ray directly. My former "Heather Poly" Seville (Code #99) lies abandoned, in quite poor condition, in the current owner's backyard, in Geneva, Switzerland. A number of us have contacted him with offers to buy it back (including me!) but he says it's NOT for sale.  Maybe Ray will have better luck!
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Chris Conklin

Chris Conklin

jimis 41 6219D

any ideas where I might purchase a set of the map pockets for the 1960 Eldo Seville that I have just aquired ? Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Chris Conklin

Quote from: jimis 41 6219D on September 02, 2009, 12:10:16 AM
any ideas where I might purchase a set of the map pockets for the 1960 Eldo Seville that I have just aquired ? Any help would be greatly appreciated .

I don't speak from experience, but my first call would be to Jenkins for those.
Chris Conklin