News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

57 Coupe Deville advice.

Started by Kurt Wrebel, July 31, 2009, 04:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurt Wrebel

Hi, I've got a couple of jobs to do on my 1957 Coupe Deville this weekend and because my shop manual hasn't arrived from the states yet I need some info. Can anyone tell me the correct ignition points gap, and the other thing, how do I get the interior door handles off? I need to get the door panels off to get inside the doors but just can't for the life of me see how to get the handles off; no circlips, no grub screws nothing...Kurt

Otto Skorzeny

Door handles are the same as just about every car made - little C clips that slip over the shaft and pop into two slots.

Use a regular trim tool to get them off.
Here's a drawing of one (click on it to enlarge):
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Art Woody

As for point gap, I think by '57 the dist. cap had adjustment window. If so, use a dwell meter and set points at 30 degrees. Gap will be about .16. If no meter is handy, turn adjuster (while engine running) clockwise until engine misfires, then counter clockwise exactly 1/2 turn. Check it if you want to, it will be 30 degrees. Art Woody

Kurt Wrebel

Thanks Otto for the info on that little retaining clip. I knew there must be one somewhere - it's just impossible to see. Thanks to you too Art for the points information. We got the job done and the ignition electrics are working fine. Unfortunately the cars isn't. We've narrowed the problem down to dirty fuel, so we've flushed the tank and now need a new inline filter. At the moment, even with a new pump, the car doesn't seem to be pulling enough fuel through...The job goes on...!

This fuel system has been messed around with. Someone has cut off the fuel return line and it's just sticking out about a foot below the fuel pump. My shop manual still hasn't arrived so we're in the dark on how the set up is supposed to be connected up. Can anyone give us an idea, or even post a picture...Kurt

Roger Zimmermann

The shop manual has no illustration of the fuel lines. The return line is only for cars with A/C; this line goes from the fuel filter to the tank. I suppose that this line is routed along the main feul line. This return line is not essential for the function of the car; it just helps to prevent vapor lock.
Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101