News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Interesting rocker arm shaft

Started by Vetteman61, August 04, 2009, 12:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vetteman61

I had my '390 rebuilt.  It still smokes out one side, as I've mentioned previously.  Apparently, each rocker arm shaft is designed to go on a particular side, and if you try to use 2 rights or 2 lefts, it will not work properly.  If they are crossed, the engine book says they may spit oil on the valves and cause oil consumption.
  Has anyone heard of this or experienced it.  I don't think the vast amount of smoke I'm having would come from this situation.

Thanks,
    Brandon
Brandon

Dan LeBlanc

Keep in mind, it doesn't take a whole lot of oil to make a whole lot of smoke.  It may be worth the shot to swap them.  It's not that big of a job after all.  Should be easily doable within a couple of hours.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Vetteman61

The engine has had this arrangement since I've owned the car, which is about 9 years.  It started smoking on a trip in '08.  I didn't drive it again until this year, when I had the engine rebuilt.  After being rebuilt, it still smokes.  If the rocker arm shaft were the cause, I feel it would have smoked ever since I've had the car.
Brandon

Coupe

I checked the shop manuals for my '57 and '62. The '57 has notches in the ends of the rocker shaft that are to be oriented towards the center of the engine. The '62 just says to have "the oil grooves in rocker shaft facing downward and oil holes in shaft toward center of engine". They are not necessarily left and right, end for the ending the shaft will change the orientation of the grooves and holes. According to my Hollander manual Cadiilac used the same rocker assmbly from '58 thru '65.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Vetteman61

So is it possible to change the position of the end of the shaft and change where the holes will be, and fix a potential problem?   I haven't worked on this part first hand, but the mechanic showed me a picture, so I'm not very familiar with it.  From the description, it sounds like, as you perhaps said, it's making sure you put it back correctly rather than it being the right part or the wrong part.

thank you for checking the book

Brandon Garrett
Brandon

Roger Zimmermann

It seems that I did a copy of the shop manual showing the indentation on the shaft. If the shaft is installed on the wrong way (half a turn), this will prevent the good lubrication of rocker arms but not let the engine smoke. By the way, is the smoke coming from oil or from water? You may have a crack in one head and water is entering the combustion chamber, crating smoke. A CO analyser on the radiator could let know if this is the case.

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Vetteman61

Well, it turns out the position of the rocker shaft is what was causing the smoking.  There's a small notation on the bottom of a page in an engine book about 390s.  If the rocker arm shaft is not turned exactly right, it will allow oil to be sprayed on the valves and cause smoking.  The shaft was moved and it cured the problem.  What a hassel all of that way.

brandon
Brandon