News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

57 Hydramatic 2-3 shift

Started by Michael Brittan CLC #2750, August 05, 2009, 04:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Brittan CLC #2750

The Hydramatic on my '57 shifts smoothly through all four gears, but the 2-3 shift happens almost immediately when upshifting, i.e. it barely stays in 2nd gear when shifting up.  As I understand it, adjusting the throttle linkage will change the shift points of all the gears, but will not allow 2nd to be held appreciably longer.  Is there any separate adjustment that can be made on the 2-3 shift only? 
M Brittan

Otto Skorzeny

My philosophy on Hydramatics is that as long as they shift into all 4 gears and the car runs correctly, leave them alone.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Art Woody

In my experience, at least on a '53, adjustment does affect 2-3 shift dramatically. When I bought the car, I experienced much what you describe but with a small amount of adjustment and much trial and error, drivability improved greatly. Keep adjusting & test driving until you get it right. Be warned, if you get it to hold the gear too long, the down shift into low will throw through the windshield! Correct adjustment will make the engine deliver much more power on take off. I know the two tranny's are not the same, but principley I believe will result in much improvement. Good luck. Art

Dave Shepherd

Art, good advice the tv rod is a critical adjustment on all hydramatics, improper adjustment has the greatest effect on the 2-3 shift, follow the shop manual procedure exactly. An early shift requires pulling the rod forward or in effect shortening it.

Walter Youshock

Getting the rough 2-3 bump out of a '56-'58 is almost impossible.  You can tweak the TV adjustment to a point, but that 2-3 was always problematic.

It has to do with the front coupling emptying and the switch from front unit exiting direct drive and the rear unit switching to direct drive.

It's all confusing and is outlined in the Shop Manual.  In other words:  there's a lot of changes taking place in the fluid flow from 2 to 3 and that transition stumbles.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Doug Houston

We can't liken the '53 transmission adjustments to the 56-63 in any way. They are totally different. With the "Jetaway" (56-63) transmission, you should never really feel the 1-2 or the 3-4 upshifts, but there is a definite transition for the 2-3. A lot of messages here address this, and the writers are worried about it, but that's the way the box operates. I've heard many "experts" say adamantly, that the transmission is 2 speed.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Walter Youshock

BUT:  before the front sprag disintegrated and the trans had to be rebuilt in my '57, the shift points were imperceptible.  Now, that 2-3 is bumpy and it just won't go away.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

I appreciate all the feedback.  The transmission on my car shifts smoothly through all the gears, but effectively is a 3-speed since the car hardly holds 2nd gear.  Maybe I should quit while I am ahead, but the suggestion to check the shop manual is appropriate.  Mike
M Brittan

Art Woody

I was careful to point out that I am aware that '53 transmissions are not the same as '57. The discussion is how to improve drivability by adjusting the shift to hold in second gear to a greater r.p.m. before shifting into third gear. So far there has been no complaint as to rough shifting in any gear. This  holds true in any automatic trans whether it's '53 or 2003, when shifting at the proper r.p.m. results in more power and acceleration as the mass reaches speed. Any automatic transmission can suffer from this symptom and can be corrected. Art

CEC #20099

CEC  #20099
That 57 is not right, & I think it is more than the TV rod.  Years ago I had a 56 Engine & trans in a 55.
The trans was fully rebuilt. Full throttle off the line, first gear would raise the front of the car about 6"
before the car moved. Second would come in quick, & hold quite a while , before third came in.

I still prefer a 55 Dual Range, for the hard , solid shifts.

The car was known as the "Blue Whale", I should not have sold it. CEC.

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello,
i was chrecking out the lastest talk on the site when this subject caught my attention . i have a 57 cadillac that runs very well . But i can not feel the transmission shifting into 4th .
How can i be sure it is in 4th ? The reason i ask is because when i an cruising  at about  60 mph The rpm's seem to be a little high, I do not have a tac in the car , it just feels like i need another gear .  . Is it passable that the shifting is so smooth you can not feel it. Maybe i should hook up  a tac ? Does anybody out there know what rpm the 365 engine should be running at in 4th gear ?
Thanks Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill:  You might want to check on the rear axle ratio of your car.  Mine has the optional 3.36:1 gearing which will up the engine revs for a particular speed.  The car has been a Colorado car all its life so presumably was ordered from the factory with the lower ratio to assist performance at the higher Colorado altitudes.  Mike
M Brittan

Otto Skorzeny

It depends on how fast you're driving , Bill. My '56 cruises at 65-70 in 4th and revs in the hi 2s and low 3s.

My '79 F100 revs at around 2200 at 65-70. Just adding that to show the difference in engines, trannys and rear ends over the years.

Our Cads will rev higher than "normal" cars at similar speeds. I understand your concern, however. My tranny didn't shift into 4th a year and a half ago and I didn't know it. It was reving very high but since I had just installed hood insulation and was on the freeway with the windows down, I didn't realize it until the engine had severely overheated.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE