News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

57 cdv fuel pump

Started by Coupedeville, August 06, 2009, 08:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupedeville

Hello All,

I'm Joe and i live in the UK and would appreciate some help with identifying whether or not the manual fuel pump fitted to my 57 coupe de ville is an aftermarket pump. The reason i ask is it is different to the pump illustrated in the workshop manual but, i know the manuals can sometimes be misleading.
I have attached a picture for ease of identification. I'm sure it's not original as the fuel filter has to be tilted towards the left to avoid fouling on the underside of the air filter.
If it proves not to be original, does anyone know where i would get a NOS or replica pump from.

Many thanks
Joe
Joe Hunt

Walter Youshock

No, that's not the right one.  The '57 pump was, as you will soon learn with MOST things 1957 Cadillac, a one-year-only part and exclusive to Cadillac.

The top portion of the original is like two stacked wedges.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Otto Skorzeny

That looks like a '56 Fuel pump.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

customcars

may be this will help.......k

Walter Youshock

THAT'S the right one!

That oil cap is supposed to be black, though...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello,
  Just curios , where is your oil filter ?

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

JKF

A 57 pump could look like this as well Joe. Oil cap is white today, red tomorrow.. >:D

Coupedeville

Hello guys,

Thanks for your help especially the pics, i know what i'm looking for know. Just for info mine doesn't have A/C.
Does anyone know where i may be able to source a correct fuel pump?

Still in the stages of working out how to post replies etc so i'll apologise now should you see more than one reply relating to the same subject
Joe Hunt

Dave Shepherd

Kanter lists one, 800 526 1096.

Roger Zimmermann

Ted Holcombe has one on eBay right now. It's a NOS.
Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Otto Skorzeny

I believe you can buy brand new Airtex units from most chain stores for around $50. They have them for "56 and early '60s. I'm sure they'll have them for '57 as well.
fward

Joe

Thanks to all for your help.
Hoping to have acorrect pump by the end of August.

Joe

Walter Youshock

The ORIGINAL is the one with "AC" on the cover.  It was a one-year-only pump.

Regardless of what direction you go, consider getting a rebuild kit from someplace like Antique Auto Parts Cellar or having it rebuilt with parts compatible with today's fuel.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Coupedeville

Thanks Walter,

I'm awaiting the outcome of a bid i've made on ebay for a pump that's advertised as an original 57 Cadillac pump and it states the Cadillac part no. as well as the AC no. It has the AC on the top although not as prominent as the blue one has in the photo.

I'll contact Antique Parts Cellar re your advice. Do they have a web site?

Regards
Joe
Joe Hunt

Walter Youshock

As for being blue:  They were painted after they were added to the engine.  Originals have all the gaskets and screws painted.  If it was returned as a core and rebuilt, it was stripped, rebuilt, and sent back to dealer stock unpainted.

Technically, painted or unpainted should be considered correct as it was still the ORIGINAL part.  But:  that 1957 pump was another exclusive treasure of the car.  Like the air cleaner; the PS hose; the...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Coupedeville

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann #21015 on August 08, 2009, 07:49:06 AM
Ted Holcombe has one on eBay right now. It's a NOS.
Roger

Thanks for the pointer Roger, I'm now the proud owner of that very pump.

Regards
Joe
Joe Hunt

Otto Skorzeny

I don't want to rain on your parade Coupedeville, but if that NOS pump was made before the last year or two, it will likely not stand up to ethanol in today's gasoline.

If you can by a rebuild kit with a diaphragm made from modern, ethanol-resistant rubber, I would recommend doing so.

Alternately, you can buy a brand new pump from one of the chains.
fward

Dan LeBlanc

I do believe that in the UK where he is, just like in my part of Canada, ethanol is pretty much non-existent.  Here in my part of Canada most people only know ethanol from the FlexFuel decals on the backs of vehicles.  Nothing but pure gas here.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Otto Skorzeny

Lucky Duck! Although that pretty much negates the opportunity to buy a brand new one from Auto Zone, I guess.
fward

Coupedeville

Thanks Otto for the help and advice.
Being here in the UK i wouldn't know which chainto to start looking for parts. Fortunately i have cousins in NY who sent me some ad pages from Hemmings which have proved helpful, and obviously there's ebay, but I think in future i'll ask you guys but i will need the name(s) of the chains.

As for the ethanol issue, i checked today and am led to believe that there is only 5% ethanol if any at all in UK fuel. Do you think this could still have an adverse effect on the rubber parts within the pump?

Regards
Joe
Joe Hunt