News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

how wide is my 66 DeVille?

Started by Dudley B. Ruffalo #22257, August 08, 2009, 07:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley B. Ruffalo #22257

I am trying to find a temporary storage garage for my new 66 DeVille. The car does not arrive for about a week from California. Gunnel's 3rd ed Standard Catalog of Cadillac has Front Tread 62.5" and Rear Tread 62.5 ". Now is that from the middle of the tire to tire, inside of the tire, what is that? The section on our site says the same thing. In a month I have an a/c space that will be 12'X22", perfect. Until then I have rented this non-a/c space that is 10'X30" but the entrance is only 8 and 1/2 feet wide (once in, it's 10 ft. wide) How am I doing here? Anybody know the actual width of the car?,

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Dudley,

The Tread Measurement is from the centre of the tyres.

Now, the total overall width of the car is 79.9".

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Fred Zwicker #23106

I just measured my 1966 DeVille Convertible and allowing a little extra for the door handles and driver's side view mirror, came up with 81" or 82" overall width.  If your door width is 8', you should not have a problem.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Fred,

I would have thought that the Factory would have allowed for the extra projections when providing the Outside Measurements?

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dudley B. Ruffalo

Thanks everyone for going out and measuring your cars, and good looking they are! Looks like I will have about 10" clearance on each side. Can't wait to the larger space is available. 

Dudley

Fred Zwicker #23106

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) (Bruce Reynolds) on August 08, 2009, 08:18:43 PM
G'day Fred,

I would have thought that the Factory would have allowed for the extra projections when providing the Outside Measurements?

Hi Bruce, You are undoubtedly correct, but 79.9" is quite close to 81" to 82".  The '66 has only one side-view mirror (driver's side on mine at least), so my measurements were probably a little on the high side (for good measure).  Either way, the car will fit though an 8.5 foot wide door.  10' inside clearance doesn't leave a lot of room on each side, so I would probably put some cardboard on the wall at each door opening for ease of entering the car.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com