News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 LaSalle

Started by Jake Frederick, August 11, 2009, 11:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake Frederick

When I bought this car and tried to register it, neither the policeman nor I could find the serial number on the car. Where is it?
Jake Frederick
(812)480-7355

Mike Simmons 938

Jake- If it is still all original, the engine number (stamped on the block behind the driver's side cylinder head) is also stamped on the frame under all the grease, paint etc in the vicinity of the steering box.
People changed engines over the years,  so states that used the engine number as the VIN might have an odd number on the title. Scrub the frame, and find the real original number-and show it to the law so that the title VIN can be corrected.
Note-later flatheads had the number on a flat machined boss directly in front of the passenger-side head. By checking back here, the engine  number will tell you the year and series car in which the engine was originally used. Mike

PS- I have seen cars where the DMV used the style number (eg 40-5019) from the firewall plate as the vehicle VIN. Pretty dumb.

Jake Frederick

Quote from: Mike Simmons 938 on August 11, 2009, 07:20:01 PM
Jake- If it is still all original, the engine number (stamped on the block behind the driver's side cylinder head) is also stamped on the frame under all the grease, paint etc in the vicinity of the steering box.
People changed engines over the years,  so states that used the engine number as the VIN might have an odd number on the title. Scrub the frame, and find the real original number-and show it to the law so that the title VIN can be corrected.
Note-later flatheads had the number on a flat machined boss directly in front of the passenger-side head. By checking back here, the engine  number will tell you the year and series car in which the engine was originally used. Mike

PS- I have seen cars where the DMV used the style number (eg 40-5019) from the firewall plate as the vehicle VIN. Pretty dumb.

Mike, Thanks, I will look there tomorrow. I believe it is all still mechanically original except that the paint and upholstery have been redone about 30 years ago. It runs fine. Jake
Jake Frederick
(812)480-7355