News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Battery disconnect..good.idea ?

Started by Rick Peterson #25685, August 11, 2009, 09:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Peterson #25685

I ...as probably many of us.. am worried about an electrical short (fire)when my car is parked .  My Cad is 1928 sedan. Positive ground. I'm unclear as to wether or not that even makes a difference.  I have owned 20's cars since the 60's . I recall being 15 years old and my 1926 Ajaxs' horn going off for about 15 seconds in the middle of the night, an eternity when you your heart is pounding and it's a toss up between what the hell is going on...theft..ghosts ..???  and the fate that awaited me from the parents. After that I always disconnected the battery when ever I parked the car. I'm sorry to say that I no longer have the "spring " in my step to do that.  Hows about a battery disconnect switch ?? Is there such an animal that will carry  1/0 stranded cable. Is there a problem with leaving pos ground connected and neg disconnected ??
     Not as brave as I was in the teen years.........miss them... but..  Yikes..Good antique cars were 300.00 to 2,000 ..insurance $ 30 and a chocolate bar the size of a bedroom slipper cost 10 cents.
Rick Peterson

Otto Skorzeny

You can buy battery disconnect switches just about anywhere. They fit on the end of a battery cable and connect to the post. A simple turn of the dial disconnects the battery.

With a positive ground system you would want to put the switch on the positive terminal just as you would disconnect the negative terminal on a negative ground system.

Here's the simplest one for $12:  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1439/

Here's 6 pages of all different kinds and price ranges:   http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=battery%20disconnect%20switch&dds=1
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

jaxops

Quote from: RICK IN NC on August 11, 2009, 09:15:03 PM
I ...as probably many of us.. am worried about an electrical short (fire)when my car is parked .  My Cad is 1928 sedan. Positive ground. I'm unclear as to whether or not that even makes a difference.   Rick Peterson

Rick,

Otto is right, it's really easy and safe.  No worries about batteries draining down, electrical wire meltdowns, etc.  I also put my batteries on the "Battery Tender."  It is a charger that only gives the battery as much of a recharge as it needs and won't overcharge the battery.  I spin the battery disconnect and then hook up the battery tender.  I have a 2-bank system for both of my cars, as they are parked together in the garage.  http://www.pacificbattery.com/batterytender0128.html

1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Don Rundgren

Rick, a disconnect is almost a must especially if your car has any original wiring still in it. It can also be a partial theft deterent if you ever leave your car out unattended. I also agree with Jaxops on use of the Battery Tender, works very well.
Don
McKinney, Texas

D.Yaros

Quote from: Don Rundgren #25135 on August 12, 2009, 10:12:24 AM
Rick, a disconnect is almost a must especially if your car has any original wiring still in it. It can also be a partial theft deterent if you ever leave your car out unattended. I also agree with Jaxops on use of the Battery Tender, works very well.

And what do show judges say when they encounter a battery disconnect?
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Rick Peterson #25685

Thanks for the input. I assume I will need the 6volt version of the "battery tender" ?

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Rick: I don`t know that much about a 28 and where you could mount a battery disconnect but after many times of opening and closing 41 and 47 hoods, I mounted my lever type disconnect behind the right wheel on the top part of the gravel shield. Easy to reach from the outside and can`t be seen. No more opening the hood. Attached two pictures showing location on both sides of the right gravel shield.

Philippe M. Ruel

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on August 11, 2009, 09:29:23 PMWith a positive ground system you would want to put the switch on the positive terminal just as you would disconnect the negative terminal on a negative ground system.
Just wondering : positive and negative battery terminals have different diameters. As such a switch is supposed to be on the negative terminal (for most common negative-ground cars) will it fit a positive terminal ?
1952 60 Special in France.

Jim Stamper

My disconnect switch is a heavy duty rotary one mounted under the dash, high and to the right on the passenger side on my 27 LaSalle. Can't be seen without sticking your head under the dash, but fairly easily reached. Of course with the right hood up the guts of the thing are right there in sight, but the seat doesn't need to come out to hook up a tender either with the cable right there, I think. Others may say the tender should be on the battery. I don't know. A disconnect is a must in my book though.

Jim Stamper # 13470

Steve Passmore

On all my cars I drill a hole just in front of the full forward position of the seat and mount my remote  battery switch there, If I cant do that then the glove box is another good place but that means lots of extra cable. Whatever happens I always mount it inside the car. A friend of mine had an electrical fire in the engine bay of is 39 Ford convertible, by the time he got to his battery to disconnect the loom was completely trashed,  If you have an engine bay fire and that's where your battery is you sometimes cant get to the battery to switch them off. I always intercept the main cable to the starter regardless of positive or negative earth.
Bills idea is good if that doesn't fill them with water and crud.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Rick Peterson #25685

Great input,,,,I now need to figure out where I can mount without damaging original construction of the car.
I like the concept of keeping the switch within "reach".  Convenience , and more likely to be used on a consistent basis.
Looking at the pics that you all have shared ,I guess that I will need to " crimp'..? new ends to cables. How do I go about that..???
Buy a tool ..pay , who ?? to have it done..??  Please keep me headed in the right direction.

Thanks . Rick Peterson

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: D.Yaros on August 12, 2009, 10:26:48 AM

There is NO deduction for the most common battery disconnect that sits atop the battery
and does not modify the car in any way.  This is the one with the green knob that you just have
to twist the knob (or remove it) to disconnect the current.

That's the way both Cadillac Club and AACA treat this.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Steve Passmore

Quote from: RICK IN NC on August 12, 2009, 07:59:24 PM
,I guess that I will need to " crimp'..? new ends to cables. How do I go about that..???
Buy a tool ..pay , who ?? to have it done..??  Please keep me headed in the right direction.

Thanks . Rick Peterson

I would think you can get this done at an electrical cable suppliers Rick.  To buy the correct tool would be very expensive for just one job. Some of these tools are hydraulically operated.   If there's no way you can get this done.....
I would clean up the copper and lightly clamp the new terminal to the cable in a vice leaving 5mm of cable sticking through. Coat it with some "Power flux" (you may call it something different in your country) move the cable farther out of the vice jaws or the vice will absorb the heat and solder it on, this requires a plumbers torch for the heat required and keep the flame only only on the extra 10mm bit of cable, use just enough heat to melt the solder wire and not your cable covering.  I use very thin electrical size which melts in very quickly.   When finished you can grind off the surplus cable flush with the fitting and a damp rag to remove any flux residue.

This of course might not be authentically correct if your chasing authenticity points.
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

jaxops

Quote from: D.Yaros on August 12, 2009, 10:26:48 AM
I for one don't give a "hoot" to what the judges say.  I'm sure the perfectionists remove them like they remove their steel-belted radials before shows.  I don't worry about it and take the hit if there is one.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Rick: If you decided not to make the cables yourself find a battery supply house near you. Most will have the capability to make up a set of cables for you. You might find it cheaper since the biggest expense will be the cable and if you are like me you always buy more than you really need. I would suggest you have them use 2/0 welding cable which is what is needed for 6 volt.

Steve Passmore

Quote from: jaxops on August 13, 2009, 08:06:04 AM
I for one don't give a "hoot" to what the judges say. 

AH, A like minded person.
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Don Rundgren

Quote from: RICK IN NC on August 12, 2009, 07:59:24 PM
Great input,,,,I now need to figure out where I can mount without damaging original construction of the car.
I like the concept of keeping the switch within "reach".  Convenience , and more likely to be used on a consistent basis.
Looking at the pics that you all have shared ,I guess that I will need to " crimp'..? new ends to cables. How do I go about that..???
Rick, I made new cables for my Pierce Arrow. Restoration Supply Co. sells all the pieces, I used 1/0 gauge copper cable with fabric wrapping and installed the terminals with "solder slugs" and a hand torch, surprisingly easy. They also sell a disconnect that attaches to the battery lug and has a round lug on the other end, just attach your regular cable terminal. Easily removeable for shows if that is a concern.
Don
McKinney, Texas

Rick Peterson #25685

Quote from: Don Rundgren #25135 on August 27, 2009, 08:42:04 AM
Rick, I made new cables for my Pierce Arrow. Restoration Supply Co. sells all the pieces, I used 1/0 gauge copper cable with fabric wrapping and installed the terminals with "solder slugs" and a hand torch, surprisingly easy. They also sell a disconnect that attaches to the battery lug and has a round lug on the other end, just attach your regular cable terminal. Easily removeable for shows if that is a concern.

Thanks for the info Don .  I am not concerned with judging however.  My battery is behind a cover over the running board . That would probably deter me from using as often as I should, if I used the "battery top" disconnect. I will probably get the cables you mention and go with the switch type somewhere interior. Thanks and great looking car you've got there  (32 )

John Polychron

Recently I saw the green wheel battery switch at a
Walmart priced less than $3.00. Cheap investment
considering the value of the car.
'41 Cadillac Conv Cpe
'46 Cadillac Conv Cpe