News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

2001 SLS Torque Converter Clutch Stuck

Started by Rich S, August 13, 2009, 05:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich S

:(   On my mint condition 2001 (Seville) SLS Sedan, the "Service Engine Soon" light came on last Sunday. I am the original owner, and it has 26,900 original miles, and it has been regularly serviced and gently driven. I took it to my Cadillac dealer, and they checked PCM for codes and Code PO741 stored. "Torque Converter Clutch Stuck Off" and advised "transmission would need to come apart if code resets, estimate $2,200 to repair." Unfortunately, the "Service Engine Soon" light came back on this afternoon. I called the Service Writer back, and he said they had seen this on a few cars, and it requires dropping the transmission, and I could drive it with the light on, and it may only drop the gas mileage a little--rather than undergo a costly repair on a vehicle this old. Anyone familiar with a similar experience? Any suggestions? Thank you.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Dave Shepherd

2,200$, how do they come up with this I would ask, just did one in my shop, not an easy job took about 7.5 hours, the subframe/trans must be dropped some to get the trans side cover off to access the solenoids, axle also comes out doing this, you cannot drive indefinetly like this, the trans fluid can overheat as you will driving on the convertor.

Rich S

Thanks for the reply and information. On my Invoice from the dealer, they listed "$2,000 job," and I recall the Service Writer saying $2,200 because the job involved alot of labor to "drop the transmission." I don't quite know what to do, as I have kept the car on behalf of my 86 year old Mom, since she gave-up driving and it was her last car she bought, and its condition seems so new. Even the tires and battery were new within the last year, but I did not want to get involved with a $2,000 repair!   ???
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Dave Shepherd

Get a second opinion/est. from an independent trans shop.

jeff1956

i agree with getting a second opinion...my sts had a fluid coupling broke and gm wanted to sell me a new transmission...didnt even pull it apart.  independent shop pulled apart and found that..ordered new ones which came with a nice note saying originals were defective(plastic)and these were the updated version(metal)...gm never issued a recall.  cost me 300.00 instead of a few thousand gm wanted.

jeff