News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

HEI distributor

Started by Quinton Bradford #25053, August 14, 2009, 04:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quinton Bradford #25053

Has anyone put an HEI distributor on their 63? Any pros and'or cons? My old distributor was melted in an engine fire to nothing and I'm considering an HEI type. Quinton
Quinton Bradford
1963 Cadillac DeVille - "Gertie"

Quinton Bradford #25053

Sorry guys.  It is a 390 for those of you wondering.
Quinton Bradford

Otto Skorzeny

Now's the time to do it. I'm not familiar with the '63 engine per se but I'm sure somebody like Bruce Reynold's will be able to give you the straight dope.

You might also pose that question to the Modified Cadillac forum since there are probably members who can give you first hand info from experience.

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/index.php
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Ted in Olympia WA

A HEI from a later engine will not fit but I kind of like the looks of this system

http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

I never done it myself but it is temping.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

Otto Skorzeny

Wow!

That's funny seeing a Ford small-cap dizzy like my '66 Mustang had with a Chevy ignition module on it like my Monte Carlo had.

Is the housing still good on yours Quinton?
fward

Sweede64

No GM HEI will fit the -63 390, i sugest yuo bay a new (used) stock dist. and renovate this unit, then get a ignitor system for it, loks stock but work just fine. Got one in my -61 and never had any probs.
Thomas Karlström

The Tassie Devil(le)

With the right amount of material, and where-with-all, anything is possible.

It is correct that the GM HEI System won't fit the '63 390, and people have replaced the Points with a Petronix Unit, and there is another way if the rotation is the same direction.

What is requires, simply, is to get the bottom of a 390 Distributor, and the top of an HEI unit, and join them together, so that everything clears any obstructions on top of the engine.

It is a matter of Welding the two housings together, and fabricating a replacement drive shaft, and making i5t all work together, without breaking.   But it won't be cheap.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Otto Skorzeny

I think I'd go with Ted's guy or leave it original.
fward

Ted in Olympia WA

Nothing really wrong with the points except if the car sits for a long period you have to clean them a bit before starting.  I have to do this to the Ford Model A every spring.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

35-709

I have used the Pertronix system on 2 different 429's and had good results with them.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

mario

hi quinton:
i am using the version that ted told you about. it's not cheap, but it has been running for 7 years, trouble free. dave is a real hoot to converse with. he really know his business. he does specify that you must use a particular coil and it be mounted the way he says. he will tell you his reasons even if you don't want to hear them lol.
7 trouble free years is hard to beat. never even change the cap or rotor - yet (knock on wood!!!) i know many that have used the pertronix with no trouble. i tried that first and it burned out after 6 months. good luck.
ciao,
mario

Quinton Bradford #25053

Thanks y'all!  I will look into it.  I really appreciate everyones comments and advice!!!
-Q
Quinton Bradford