News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac Fuel Gauge question

Started by carguyblack, August 14, 2009, 09:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carguyblack

My fuel sender is no doubt trash but now I'm concerned about the gauge itself. Can anyone tell me if it is normal that the gauge pegs to completely full the instant I turn the key on, even when there is no sender unit attached? When I turn the key off, it gently floats back to empty but it lights right up and stays there with the key on.
I have a new sender unit coming but I'd like to know if I can look forward to tearing the dash apart again to replace the fuel gauge too! Thanks for your help. Chuck Dykstra, Portage, MI
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Otto Skorzeny

Once you get it hooked up I think it will work right. The guage receives a constant electric charge when the key is on. The circuit is interrupted with the sending unit removed.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

J. Gomez

Quote from: carguyblack on August 14, 2009, 09:02:50 PM
My fuel sender is no doubt trash but now I'm concerned about the gauge itself. Can anyone tell me if it is normal that the gauge pegs to completely full the instant I turn the key on, even when there is no sender unit attached? When I turn the key off, it gently floats back to empty but it lights right up and stays there with the key on.
I have a new sender unit coming but I'd like to know if I can look forward to tearing the dash apart again to replace the fuel gauge too! Thanks for your help. Chuck Dykstra, Portage, MI

Chuck,

Ditto on Forrest comments..!

The fuel gauge is a combination of parallel and series resistance coils (in conjunction with the sender resistance) that would the gauge behave strange without the sender in line. If the needle pegs to “Full” and then returns back to normal “Empty”, it is a sign the gauge is working.

To be sure just test the gauge and sender operation before you bolt the new sender in the tank. Also, the manual shows the procedure to check the float arm under Fig 13-10.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

carguyblack

Yahoo! I sure didn't want to dig into the dash again. I'll let you guys know what the verdict is after the sender is installed. Appreciate the "second set of eyes" from you guys.
Best regards,
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE

Misfit

The correct aswer would be the ground is interrupted. With the ground disconnected the gauge will pin to full instantly.

When the new sending unit is installed, be sure you have a good clean ground between the sending unit and the tank. Often there will be a wire running from the attaching point of the sending unit to the body or frame.

Not sure how they did it on a '56.

MisFit

Eric Falk

Quote from: Misfit #22631 on August 15, 2009, 05:06:16 AM
The correct aswer would be the ground is interrupted. With the ground disconnected the gauge will pin to full instantly.

When the new sending unit is installed, be sure you have a good clean ground between the sending unit and the tank. Often there will be a wire running from the attaching point of the sending unit to the body or frame.

Not sure how they did it on a '56.

MisFit
The fuel line was used to ground the tank on a 56'.  The sending unit is grounded to the tank and the fuel line runs from the tank directly to the frame.  Without the fuel line attached to the frame you will need to attach a ground wire from the sending unit or fuel tanlk to the frame or the sending unit circuit will be open.

dan reed

Chuck - what everyone stated is correct - without that sending unit your gauge will peg to FULL. The reason I 'm writing is because I read somewhere (may have been in the shop manual or in the instructions for the sending unit I put in my '56) that you do not want to leave the gauge in that FULL Position for too long as it could do damage to the gauge. I assume your not currently driving the car, but I figured I would mention it being somewhere along the line it was an important enough issue to put in writting.

Dan

carguyblack

I certainly felt it was not doing the guage any good seeing it electrically charged to the max position everytime I turned the key. I have now replaced the sender as well as the guage and they both seem to be operating. I wonder if the ground fault I had in the original guage itself (that necessitated my replacing it) was caused by the weeks of intermittant starting and running, thus pegging the guage? At least this is behind me now and perhaps my experience will be helpful to someone else in the future. Many thanks for all the help! No man is an island, especially in the old car hobby! Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE

lowchevypickup

what is the ohm range on a 56 gas gauge?

J. Gomez

Quote from: lowchevypickup on August 30, 2009, 06:07:59 PM
what is the ohm range on a 56 gas gauge?

For early GM gauges the resistance was 0 ohms=E, 32 ohms=F. By the early 60s these were converted to 90 ohms.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082