News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Help identfy this device, apparently a top oiler

Started by TJ Hopland, August 15, 2009, 10:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Im helping a friend with a 50 Nash Ambassador.  It has this odd device on it that we are guessing is aftermarket since we have never seen anything like it in any Nash photos or on any other car for that matter.   At first we thought it was a windshield washer.  The jar was broken so we never looked that close.  After looking we noticed that it only had one vacuum connection that goes to an adapter plate under the carb.   The adapter plate has some words on it.  It appears to say 'AMPCO patent pending' .   There also looked to be something painted on the glass jar but there was not enough left of it to make anything out.   The jar looked to be a little over 1 quart capacity. 

This is the top of the device.  It was mounted with this side up to the inner fender under the hood.  The round thing on the left appears to be a fill cap with a vent screen in the center.  The fitting at the bottom of the photo was the vacuum connection.  Just above that appears to be some sort of glass valve.

The knob on the left looks like a mixture screw on a carb.   The horn on the right has vacuum on it when the engine is running.

This is the bottom there was about a 1 quart glass jar threaded on.  There is a screen on the bottom of the tube.

The steel line on the left side below the carb was the only connection.   It appears to be an adapter plate between the intake and the carb.  This is where I saw the AMPCO name.  That may not be the exact name it was hard to read.

So is it some magic fuel saving thing?   Fuel enriching?   Lubrication?  What was left in the jar appeared to be oily but that could just have been residue from other leaks on the engine.  We have no idea so I am open to hear any theories.

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Misfit

I was thinking along the lines of an upper cylinder lubrication device. The metering screw doing just that. The vacuum creating the suction to draw the product upwards.

But that's just a wild guess. This is waaay before my time.   ??? ??? :o

MisFit

Coupe

Misfit, you are right on the money. It's a top cylinder lubricator.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Otto Skorzeny

What do you fill the jar with, Marvel Mystery Oil?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Misfit

Quote from: Coupe on August 15, 2009, 02:26:42 PM
Misfit, you are right on the money. It's a top cylinder lubricator.

Ding, Ding, Ding.  Finally I got something right today !!  ::)

MisFit

Misfit

Man could you have fun with an item like that on todays roads. Hook that up to a big 40's - early 70's Cadillac. Open the metering valve to it's fullest and drive around the Capitol Beltway, blowing smoke out of both exhaust pipes.

Add the big magnetic door signs that read, "I'm getting 10 Miles to the gallon!"   :D :D :D

MisFit

Otto Skorzeny

Quote from: Misfit #22631 on August 15, 2009, 04:31:51 PM
Add the big magnetic door signs that read, "I'm getting 10 Miles to the gallon!" 

Or one that says, "I've got your global warming right here!"
fward

TJ Hopland

Interesting.    When were these most popular?   Think they did any good?   Any manufacturer ever have a system like that from the factory?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Otto Skorzeny

Hell, they didn't even put oil filters on cars back then. I doubt they'd include one of those things.

Dealer added, I'm sure. Snake oil back then just like paint protection, Scotch-guard and  dealer prep is today.
fward

Coupe

If I remember right it was "service " stations that added them so they could sell Marvel Mystery Oil.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

The Tassie Devil(le)

I remember years ago that my Father would call into the Service Station, and when the tank was filled, the Attendant would pour in the correct amount of "Upper Cylinder Lubricant".   It was another of these "Things" to sell to the motorist in order to supposedle make the engine last longer.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: DavidP on August 15, 2009, 04:22:27 PM
Yes, a Marvel Mystery Oil ... Top Oiler

Looks like one of the earlier ones ...  ???

http://vwjudsonregister.tripod.com/oiler_page.htm

David:

Thanks for posting those pics!  I remember these gadgets well when I worked for Gulf Oil
back in the 60's.  They were popular after market add-on's and advertised in most of the major auto magazines such as "Motor Trend".  Whether these rigs did any good or not is a subject for debate. 

However, Marvel Mystery Oil is still a good product has its uses.  It has been discussed on this Forum many times.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Don Boshara #594

Back in the day you could fill the jar with Casite and lay down a smoke screen that would stall traffic for a block behind you. Somehow cops could see through it.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

TJ Hopland

I told the owner what it was and he came back with this.

http://www.ampcolubes.com/

They are still in business and they still make a unit just like the one in the Nash.

I googled it but must have spelled it wrong.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Otto Skorzeny

fward