News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 61 trim codes

Started by chris householder, August 17, 2009, 01:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris householder

Hello,I am new here and would like some help,I recently purchased a 1941 cadillac 61.I have always loved old cars but have never really thought of cadillacs,but when I looked at this car I loved as soon as I seen it.This is a car I would like to restore to original condition.It is a 41-6109d trim #75 paint#51.where do I get the info. on the trim# and does anyone know what the 75 trim consists of ? thanks for any info that would help.       

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Chris: My Master Parts book shows paint code #51 is black and trim #75 refers to the upholstery which is a Blue Gray Heather Cord material.

chris householder

thanks Bill, where can I get a master parts book or any other info. on 41 cadillacs? how do you tell from the codes if it had a painted dash or the wood look dash? thanks again,it is good to find people who know how to find this info. its such a great car and I want to make sure I get everything right. 

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Chris: The Master Body Parts book is very difficult to find. I found my book years ago at Hershey. You might keep looking in Ebay. If you want to know about your car, how things were painted and information on your car that will help you in restoration then purchase a Authenticity Manual for the 1941 Cadillac from the Cadillac- LaSalle Club. This manual was written for the club by a group of very knowlegable Cadillac owners in May of 2000 and it is THE manual to have if you own a 1941 Cadillac. I think the manual will tell you that almost all 41 dashes used the walnut DINOC for the finish. Cars could be ordered with the painted dash but then the body name tag would indicate a SO which means special order.

chris householder

thanks again Bill,that info. is very helpful.I guess I will be getting one of those manuals.I looked on the body tag and found no so code so I guess mine had the dinoc.   

Chris Conklin

Another good book is Roy Schneider's "Cadillacs of the Forties". A great historical reference with a lot of build data in it as well. Still in circulation, so not very expensive, found one F/S linked below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cadillacs-of-the-Forties-:-Roy-A.-Schneider-(Hardcover,-1998)_W0QQitemZ341162016448QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090818?IMSfp=TL090818157002r5921
Chris Conklin

chris householder

thanks Chris,I will see if I can get my hands on this book.Any info. is good info. and I appreciate the help.

harvey b

Hi Chris,here is a link to an ebay auction for a parts book,it has a different looking cover then mine has,but it says it has the same info but i cant vouch for that,looks to be a good book though,price is reasonable as these normally go for over 100.00. good luck. Harvey B  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1937-1938-1939-1940-1949-Cadillac-Parts-Book-Manual_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem35a31167dcQQitemZ230369093596QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature 
Harvey Bowness

Bill Ingler #7799

After enlarging the cover of the parts book on ebay it appears that this book might only cover the chassis parts and accessories for 37-49. There were two master parts books that covered Cadillac, one book covered the chassis parts and accessories and the other book covered the body parts. My chassis book has 597 pages and the body parts book 232 pages. The book on ebay is listed at some 800 pages so maybe it has both the chassis and body books together. Listed below are the front pages for my chassis book and body parts book. Don`t every pass up the opportunity to purchase either of these books. They contain a wealth of information if you are planning to restore or just maintain your car.

chris householder

thanks for all the help guys,Chris,I have got the cadillacs of the 40s on the way.Harvey,thanks for the link,I have parts book the way.Bill,you may be right on this book being chassis only,but as I said at this time any info. is good info. as I am just a rookie at old cadillacs.If it is chassis only I will just keep looking for the other book,by the way Bill,it looks like you were right on the trim code,it had old covers on the seats that I thought could not have come from the factory,we peeled them back and sure enough,blue cord seats.these new books might tell me this but does anyone know the main difference between the 6109 and the 6109 deluxe? thanks again....... 

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Chris, the main difference in the standard and deluxe cars is the level of material used. Plus, the deluxe cars use the ribbed kick panels on the doors and have a rear arm rest. Also, the stainless behind the front arm rest pulls, and chromed windshield surrounds.
I see you took the seat covers off. Be careful, and check how good the seats really are. If they are usable at all, I would promply put on clear plastic covers to enjoy the original look and not tear them up, as the material is NOT available anywhere. I have a usable patch piece about 12 by 18 inches that is slightly stained and faded to grey if you could use it.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

chris householder

Thanks Barry,I dont think we are going to be able to use the factory covers,this car had been in a barn for 50 years so the rats have really done a number on the interior.I will look at the fabric when the covers are off,but I think there is going to be more gone than a patch could fix.I appreciate the offer and I would use the patch if the seats turn out to be better than I think.thanks again....

Chris Conklin

Another aspect of the Deluxe level trim and designation, somewhat limited production - 3,495 41-6109D units made.
Chris Conklin

Bill Gauch #23121

This may kill my server bandwidth, but if anyone has an interest in a digital version of the Cadillac Master Parts List - 14th Edition - May 01, 1950, here is a link:

http://www.therhodeislandreview.com/?p=287
WANTED: Nothing right now.

- 1938 Series 65 - 4-door sedan - Restoration (slowly) ongoing

http://38caddy.blogspot.com/

Bob Schuman

Chris,
You are in luck when it comes to restoring your interior soft trim. Barry is correct that the seat material for the 61 and 62 Series standard cars is not available. Yours is a Deluxe, and the material, both Heather Cord(commonly called Bedford Cord) and the plain broadcloth for all except the seats is available from various upholstery vendors. Most will send you small sample swatches to compare to your original cloth. That was free when I did mine, but things may have changed in 33 years.
All you will need for the upholstery restoration is LOTS of money.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

chris householder

thanks for the help guys.the low prod. numbers makes it more rare,I wonder how many of these had auto. trans.? Thanks for the link bill I looked at some of the pages and found some good info..Thanks for the info. on the fabric Bill,its good to know this fabric or something like it is still out there.