News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

76 CDV quarter window trim removal

Started by jeff elliott CLC #23590, August 17, 2009, 03:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff elliott CLC #23590

hi,
how is the exterior chrome trim fixed to the window on my 76 CDV, and what is the best method of removal.
regards Jeff.

mgbeda

Hi Jeff,

I thought I'd take a shot at this, even though mine is a Sedan, seeing as you've been waiting a couple days.  So keep in mind things could be different on the coupe window, or in other words this could all be wrong.

On my car the molding just slides over the inside edge of the window cut out.  The molding itself is two pieces; one plastic piece that starts at the upper forward corner and goes all the way around the window, and a small metal corner piece the fits over the plastic molding in that corner.

The trick to getting the molding off is to slowly and carefully slide the plastic ends further into the metal corner until the molding perimeter is enough smaller that it clears the window lip and comes off.  This is tricky because these moldings get very fragile over the years, and crack just from looking at them.  I used silicone spray to help ease the molding ends further into the corner, but I still ended up with a few cracks.

I really wish someone would reproduce these moldings, as I doubt any originals exist in good shape.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

jeff elliott CLC #23590

hi MB,
thanks for reply, the extreme outside stainless trim on the CDV quarter window ( I believe sometimes called opera windows) is in 2 pieces, they would appear to be adhered to the rubber using some type of adhesive or glue?, however, I decided not to remove them, the guy who painted the roof on my car masked them off and
has done a good job.
my car has never had a landau roof fitted, the paint on the roof was so thin it was in danger of rusting so I got the roof painted white/cream using the same lines as a landau roof I will then separate this to the rest of the body with a chrome strip. this gives me a car with the landau appearance, a bite size repaint project (the rest of the car to be done next year) and a rust free car, OK this may not be to everyones taste and it will not get any prizes in a concourse inspection, however, it does keep the car in good condition for a used a often as possible classic.
regards jeff