News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 gear lube

Started by Steve Rinaldo, August 19, 2009, 04:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Rinaldo

My 1937 service manual calls for 160 wt. in warmer climate, does anyone have a source for this.

Otto Skorzeny

Here is a forum for 1920s and 30s cars where they are discussing the use of 160 weight. I'd email one of the guys.

http://forums.aaca.org/f145/what-weight-gear-oil-use-244782.html

Lucas sells 140 weight.

http://www.lucasoil.com/search/results_products.sd?keyword=160%20weight%20gear%20oil&headTitle=Search%20-%20160%20weight%20gear%20oil

Mobil Oil also makes a 75w 140 gear oil and Mobil 1 synthetic 80w 140. So does Shell  under their Rotella brand.

Try truck and tractor supply stores or service centers. Big rigs use heavy oil and farm equipment uses heavy weight oil.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Warren Rauch

In the Cadillac Serviceman for April 1,1937 page13 they changed the gear lube. " New rear axle and transmission recommendations change the Spring and Summer lubrication job considerably.The 37 series rear axles are now changed on a mileage basis entirely. They should be drained, flushed and refilled with Cadillac approved Hypoid Lubricant at 6000 mile intervals. The 37 transmission recommendations as to lubricant changes have been altered to permit their being made at the same time as the rear axle changes. They should now be made at 6000 mile intervals and S.A.E. 90 , the former winter grade lubricant used throughout the year. This latest recommendation for the year round use of winter grade S.A.E. 90 lubricant can also be followed for past model transmissions and past model rear axles which do not require a Hypiod lubricant"
I felt it important to quote Cadillac as the discustion of the 32 gear lube last week seem to get no where. Warren