News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Shakin' All Over The Place

Started by Rick Biarritz, August 18, 2009, 08:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Biarritz

Got my 83 Eldo in the spring.  Had just a little bit of a shake at higher speeds.  Had tires balanced and all was fine for a month.  And then, literally overnight, when I hit about 50 MPH and up, it shakes like crazy.  The steering wheel shakes the front end shakes, the seats shake.  What gives?  Did a weight or 2 fall off the wheels?  Taking her in tomorrow to the shop. 

Otto Skorzeny

Lots of things can cause the shake.

First thing I'd check are the wheels and tires. If they all look OK, I'd move front to back and back to front.

If that doesn't change anything, then you have to start looking at the trans-axle and suspension components. Don't rule out a broken engine mount either.

It sounds like a tire / wheel problem, though. Perhaps a belt has broken in one of your tires. How old are they? Any dry rot visible?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

35-709

I too would be suspicious of the tires if they are 5 years old or older ---- not that one couldn't fail earlier.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

Shaking from Tyres being out of balance usually starts at about 45 MPH, and what you are describing sounds very much like the tyres are either bad, or a weight has fallen off.

Jack up each wheel and give it a spin by hand, and observe if the tread lines are true and not wavering.

Old tyres can, and do, separate the belts.   Had one go on my '72 Eldo, after I got to CT last year, after driving 15,00 miles.   Tread was perfect till then, and I hated having to toss out what appeared to be a new tyre.   Looked like new, but the car hadn't been driven for years.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Guidematic

Yes, a tire can go bad literally overnight. Old tires can suffer from shifted belts and lead to some very violent shaking. Have the tires inspected, and if there is any evidence of shifted belts, replace them immediately. They can literally blow out, which can obviously lead to another set of problems.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Otto Skorzeny

Her's one that did just that last week. It was just sitting in the garage minding it's own business with no load on it when it exploded without warning.

(picture stolen from another Cadillac forum)
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Rick Biarritz

'Twas a shot rear tire.  That's a relief.  Now, what tires did the car come with?  Can't seem to find it in the owner's manual.  It's an 83 Eldo, and it does not have the touring suspension.  Thanks.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Rick Biarritz on August 19, 2009, 03:45:51 PM
'Twas a shot rear tire.  That's a relief.  Now, what tires did the car come with?  Can't seem to find it in the owner's manual.  It's an 83 Eldo, and it does not have the touring suspension.  Thanks.
Better ones that are on it now. ;D

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Sorry, couldn't resist.

PPS.   P205/75R15
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe