News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1938 windshield installation

Started by Matt 12861, August 18, 2009, 09:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt 12861

I am getting to the stage of getting new glass for the front and back windows cut.  I have a 1938 Cadillac sedan (the cheap model).  When I took the glass out (it was cloudy and cracked), there was a chrome strip also in the rubber that is cracked.  From looking at the rubber book it looks like you can get rubber for the chrome strip or without it.   How tough is it to install?   Should I just have the glass guys do it for extra money?  Do I need the rubber for this or can I just get a long strip and glue the ends together?  Has anyone seen a good step by step article or video on how to do it?  Thanks for any help.

Steve Passmore

Hi Matt.  You don't say if your chrome strip survived when it was removed, many don't, so unless it did you would have to go with the rubber for screens without chrome strip. These have a lip on the rubber to compensate and the fitting is different.

Always get the rubber that's a complete vulcanized one piece if you possibly can, I think "Steel" have them?  Long lengths can be cut and super glued together but its not a job for the faint hearted getting the right length, Its always nicer to have the corners shaped rather than having to stretch a one piece length round the glass, it doesn't always want to go around the corners,
I have fitted a number of flat glass screens and I have literally just put one in a 34 Buick for a friend where it had to be just a length of rubber as the vulcanized type is not available.  This was a one piece screen so was easier than your two piece.

When Ive been on my own I have done them alone but you really need two people.  Assemble both pieces on a bench with the rubber installed on the glass, you will have to pack something between the two pieces where your centre strip gos because the rubber will tend to try and pull them together and damage the edges, Blocks of rubber are good for this. If you have the chrome trim fit this in place over the screen opening with some sealant and offer the glass with rubber on up into position applying some sealant before you do.
If you go for the lip type rubber because you don't have the chrome trim Insert a piece of very thin string or something around the lip that fits over the outside of the body leaving two tails hanging. Years ago I cut several wedge shaped pieces of rubber for this job and I still keep them. 2 inches long and shaped 1 inch down to nothing, you can use wood or plastic.

From inside the car I offer the two halves into position just putting light pressure on the glass. Around the glass I then install some of the interior moulding screws done up half way, and wedge one of my rubbers behind it, go around the glass like that to keep it in place for now.

For lip type rubber with someone in side the car keeping pressure on one half at a time I gently pull the string cord on the outside easing the rubber lip over the body, as the screen moves outward the person inside keeps the pressure up pushing the wedges tighter untill it comes to a stop and the lip is completely outside. This is not always done the first time so its handy to have a soft tool of some sort to gentle ease the lip over if the string slips out. (I use a staple remover wrapped in masking tape).    Complete the process on the other side.

You must maintain the correct center gap to install your centre strip, This should have sealant applied before fitting, with the lip type rubber  I always leave the screen rubber sealing till after its fitted (just the way I like to do it, Less messy and allows you to make adjustments to the glass and rubber)

When every thing's in, the wedges and screws can be removed and the interior moulding fitted, For the lip type rubber I then apply masking tape all around the body at the edge of the rubber lip, and around the rubber close to the rubber lip and push the nozzle of a sealant gun between the body and rubber, apply sealant all around untill a little squashes out from under the lip then clean the excess off, Before its set remove the tape.
Next day I apply tape then around the glass and the rubber where it joins the glass and seal that the same. The tape allows you to clean and wipe off all the excess and then just peal the tape away leaving it clean.
I hope your chrome strip survived as it makes the car.

If you have never done one of these and you have glass fitters that can do it you should go for it, we don't have that luxury in this country and so its a case of "Necessity being the mother of invention"  HTH

You can email me direct and Ill help you through it if you decide to do it yourself. Steve
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe