News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

2002 CTS

Started by Craig Dziedzic (20632), August 18, 2009, 12:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Dziedzic (20632)

I'm considering purchasing a 2002 Eldorado CTS.  I would like to know of any issues that may be of concern or just your opinion of the car.  I've heard that Northstar engines burn oil between normal oil change durations and is considered normal.  Any comments?

Also, since this will be an out of state transaction; I would like your advice on how to make the exchange of title and check between the seller and buyer.

Thank you.

Art Director

Quote from: Craig Dziedzic (20632) on August 18, 2009, 12:49:41 PM
I'm considering purchasing a 2002 Eldorado CTS.

No such car as a 2002 Eldorado CTS. There was an ESC (Sport Coupe), ETC (Touring Coupe) and ECS (Commemorative Series) manufactured that final year. Can you clarify which model you're looking at?

As for burning oil with the Northstar, to me it's just a minor thing in my 2001 ESC. I religiously have my oil changed every 3,000 miles and add just one quart at 2,000 miles. The car is a dream to drive and sips the gas, as I get 28 mpg with A/C on full blast on highway driving.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Craig Dziedzic

Quote from: Tim Coy on August 19, 2009, 10:54:05 AM
No such car as a 2002 Eldorado CTS. There was an ESC (Sport Coupe), ETC (Touring Coupe) and ECS (Commemorative Series) manufactured that final year. Can you clarify which model you're looking at?

My mistake.  It's a ETC.

Also found out that NS motors are prone to rear main seal leaks and carbon build-up on top of the pistions if the car is not run out enough which can be heard as piston chatter.  I'm concerned because the car I'm looking at has low milage.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Quote from: Craig Dziedzic on August 19, 2009, 12:11:05 PM
My mistake.  It's a ETC.

Also found out that NS motors are prone to rear main seal leaks and carbon build-up on top of the pistions if the car is not run out enough which can be heard as piston chatter.  I'm concerned because the car I'm looking at has low milage.

Craig,

With a Northstar car, I'd be much more concerned about high mileage than low since some of the expensive and difficult repairs such as starters, water pumps, main seals and electronic suspension components won't likely be needed before 100,000 miles. If the engine misfires when you accelerate heavily (with carbon exhaust visible through the rearview mirror) and a little more of that doesn't correct it, having it "de-carboned" is not a big job or expense although adding that to the special wires and plugs those engines use (and which could contribute to misfiring, but usually not with fewer than 50,000 miles) could run close to $1,000.00 if the dealer does it. As for oil consumption, I bought two first-generation Northstar Cadillacs new and one used a quart of oil about every 1,200 miles and the other one about every 1,800 miles which is considered normal.  One other thing... I'd drive the car over some rough roads to see if the significantly stiffer suspension in the ETC compared to the (base) ESC Eldorado is too firm for you.

Craig Dziedzic

Quote from: Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397 on August 19, 2009, 03:08:13 PM

With a Northstar car, I'd be much more concerned about high mileage than low since some of the expensive and difficult repairs such as starters, water pumps, main seals and electronic suspension components won't likely be needed before 100,000 miles.

Thanks Rusty for your insight.  I think I'll go for it then.

Craig (CLC #20632)

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Craig, if you can get it at a decent price and it's a color you like (or at least can live with), I'd go for it, too.  I like those cars; the body style is handsome and distinctive (not of the "cookie cutter" design school) and they drive well.