News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1958 Eldorado Biarritz - interior color help needed

Started by Mitchell CLC# 22427, August 20, 2009, 09:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitchell CLC# 22427

Fellow members - I am putting the finishing touches on my 1958 Eldorado Biarritz restoration. I had need some help with either photos or sample of the correct interior colors.

A member was kind enough to tell me my correct interior colors per the specifications manual:
  Dash top - Kiowa Red Dk (I need sample)
  Ash trays, steering column etc... - Kiowa Red (I need a  sample)
  Door panels - Vermillion leather (already done by Jenkins)

Anybody have photos of a correct all original red interior so I can see the various shades of red?

Alernatively, anyone know who would have correct samples or swatches of Kiowa Red Dk, and Kiowa Red ?

Thanks so much
CLC #22427
M.  Terk
1941 6227D Coupe
1967 Eldorado
1939 75 Series Convertible Coupe (sold)
1958 Eldorado Biarritz  (sold )

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Since your ash trays, steering column, etc were painted, the paint formulation info is available
in the literature (such as the Parts Manual).  I had a similiar problem with doing my '55 Eldo, which used an odd color blue for the dash underside and some other interior pieces.  Many of the Eldo's during that period had two and 3 tone interiors.  Some of the colors are difficult to find "paint
chips" for.  I was lucky, in that my "odd blue" was identical to a color that Chevy used that year
and thus easier to reproduce.

According to my info, Kiowa Red was Cadillac color code 19, R/M color code L-21-RO54,
Dupont color code 82826 and Ditzler color code DL-70809.

Any good paint shop should be able to mix you up some with that information.

Good luck!

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Mitchell CLC# 22427

Jenkins and SMS didn't have any info. Thanks for the forumulation. That is awesome. Will call some paint stores today !
CLC #22427
M.  Terk
1941 6227D Coupe
1967 Eldorado

Mitchell CLC# 22427

I tried a bunch of paint shops - all claim not to make it, and not to have the codes.
Any ideas ?
CLC #22427
M.  Terk
1941 6227D Coupe
1967 Eldorado

J. Gomez

Quote from: Mitchell CLC# 22427 on August 21, 2009, 08:39:16 AM
I tried a bunch of paint shops - all claim not to make it, and not to have the codes.
Any ideas ?

Mitchell,

You could contact Lou Commisso (aka South_paw on this board), he would be a good “411” source..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Walter Youshock

Contact Tower Paint--www.towerpaint.com.  I've had fantastic results with them over the years.  They can mix almost anything and put it in an aerosol for you.  That way, you always have touch-up in case you need it.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Walter Youshock

From the 1958 DUCO/LUCITE Bulletin #21:

Kiowa Red Light:     82826-H
Kiowa Red Dark:      82829_H

These are the codes from the 1958 DUCO Interior paint chart.  Exactly where each formulation was used is unknown, at least to me.  I'd figure that the Autronic-Eye pod, shift and turn signal plastic parts and horn ring accent may have been Light.  The Lower dash, door metal pieces, etc, were considered Dark.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Walter Youshock

These are the actual INTERIOR paint codes, not an exterior formula.

Many times, the exterior color was used on the interior painted surfaces in unbuffed lacquer.  On a metallic interior, however, there were different formulations to gloss and metallic formulation to reduce glare.

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

There was a guy in Ohio who was known as the "Paint Chip Man".  He has thousands of
chips from all years of Cadillac and knows the Cadillac code numbers.  If you can get a chip, it
can be read by spectro and then color matched. Then, a paint shop ahould be able to match
the formula.

He's the guy who helped me match up my interior.

He used to advertise in Hemmings every month.  Check Hemming's and in the meantime I'll
try to look up his info.  Give me a couple days to dig it out.

I had the same problem you're going through.  Took alot of research and time but I made
it.

This is not impossible -- just makes it more fun!!!!

Don't despair -- you'll get there !!

Mike 
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Mitchell CLC# 22427

I've called a bunch of paint shops, including Tower paint. I tried all the above codes - none of them get any formulas out of their system. Crazy. Unfortunately, the lower dash/ashtray etc.. was previously repainted a bright shade of red, that does not look correct. Not to mention it is not in great shape. I could color match the existing bright red and redo it, however I think if I'm going to repaint it, it should be correct.
CLC #22427
M.  Terk
1941 6227D Coupe
1967 Eldorado

Mitchell CLC# 22427

Thanks for the photos and paint codes. Still noone is able to find the formula to correspond to the various codes.
Any other suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks !
CLC #22427
M.  Terk
1941 6227D Coupe
1967 Eldorado

jeff1956

take a chip or clear color photograph of the original color and thumb through modern paint books..as many colors as there are out there....theres got to something extremely close to the original out there. a modern basecoat paint is going to vary slightly in color so it will not be exact anyway.  if you get it close enough the human eye is not going to be able to differentiate a hair shade difference.  with colors that are not available or reproduced and you dont have a sample to be color matched thats about the best you can do.    sorry to be a downer...

Paul Tesone

Mitchell - any luck getting a formula for Kiowa Red (light & dark)? I'm faced with the same problem. My 57 Eldo body is Dakota Red and the lower windshield garnish molding is supposed to be Kiowa Red (dark). Thanks, Paul . CLC # 6876