News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Muffler for Flathead Cadillac

Started by Bob Schuman, August 22, 2009, 10:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Schuman

Can anyone advise a source for correct replacement mufflers for the 1941 through 1949 Cadillacs?  They all used the same muffler, and correct GM or afteermarket ones seem non-existent. Some vendors sell mufflers or complete exhaust systems, but in my experience they do not produce the very quiet exhaust sound of the originals.
Bob Schuman CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Bob: I know the Cadillac flat head sound you are after but no one I know is making a muffler that compares to the original sound. I think the original mufflers were made by Walker. Walker is still around but only making late model. Most of the mufflers and tail pipes being made today are using aluminized steel which I think helps to produce a louder sound than the older type steel used to make the original Cadillac mufflers and tail pipes. This is my opinion only. What you don`t want for sound is a stainless steel muffler and pipes. Great for rust prevention but they sure sounds tinny. I used Waldron for my 47 with the aluminized steel. A good fit and no complaints but not as quiet as the original mufflers. Below is their web site. They even have a couple of sound bites of their big block car mufflers. I still can remember the beautiful sound made by a 41 Ford with dual glass packs.

http://waldronexhaust.com/