News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Stainless vs. Aluminum Exhaust?

Started by domer, August 26, 2009, 07:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Youshock

The "Annual Moderators' Winter Holiday Retreat/Meeting" will be conducted in Hawaii again this year (HAHAHAHAHAHA).

I plan to export my Brougham for the event.  It's MY turn to provide transportation.

Part of this year's "Seminar on Salt Air and Water Effects on a 90% Original Car After One Week Exposure in Tropical Pacific vs. 18 Years in Northeast Atlantic Saline Solutions.  What deteriorates a car more?"

My estimation is the salt air and sea of the Pacific.  In Northern climes, with road brine, body sheetmetal and frames suffer.  In Coastal areas, such things as radiators, evaporators and condensors must get DEVOURED.

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Carfreak

Quote from: Walter Youshock on August 28, 2009, 08:21:25 PM
The "Annual Moderators' Winter Holiday Retreat/Meeting" will be conducted in Hawaii again this year (HAHAHAHAHAHA).

I plan to export my Brougham for the event.  It's MY turn to provide transportation.

Have you researched yet how long it will take to clear Customs once it reaches Hawaii?   

Quote from: Walter Youshock on August 28, 2009, 08:21:25 PM

Part of this year's "Seminar on Salt Air and Water Effects on a 90% Original Car After One Week Exposure in Tropical Pacific vs. 18 Years in Northeast Atlantic Saline Solutions.  What deteriorates a car more?"

My estimation is the salt air and sea of the Pacific.  In Northern climes, with road brine, body sheetmetal and frames suffer.  In Coastal areas, such things as radiators, evaporators and condensors must get DEVOURED.

Coastal South Texas, South Florida, likely other coastal states - cars seem to rust from the top down. 
The salt settles in the cracks around window moldings and vinyl tops; makes quite a mess. 

Quote from: CarFreak on August 27, 2009, 12:22:22 PM
Item #16 on the CLC Judging Form indicates 'NO appearance deduction for use of unpolished stainless'

What is the definition of 'unpolished stainless'? 

Still looking for an answer on the question above.   Do we have any CLC Judges on this forum that can explain? 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Otto Skorzeny

It's still the United States, CF, you don't have to go through customs.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Carfreak

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on August 28, 2009, 09:44:25 PM

It's still the United States, CF, you don't have to go through customs.

Of course, Hawaii has been a state for 50 years now.
Was just keeping in line with Walter's 'export' comment but you wouldn't understand - it was a joke. 
I keep forgetting, gotta spell stuff out to those engineer types.   Here goes:  hahahahaha
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Stinson

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on August 28, 2009, 12:10:01 AM
Does anyone know what happened to King & Queen Muffler of PA?

That's who I bought my aluminized system from and it was/is perfect. Easy to iinstall with no modifications and quiet like it should be. I can't find any information on them anymore. I found them on ebay in 2001.

Hello,
I purchased a complete set of SS from Waldrons Antique Exhaust while at Hershey two years ago for my '37 Cad Sedan V12 for $750.00 including all heavy SS pipe and two mufflers. I have not installed this yet but I did lay it out and everything fits perfectly. There are no burs or sharp edges. Everything is clean, neat, and all parts rotate easy for alignment when put together.

I can only hope that the sound will be good because I never thought of that. Expecting it to be very quiet.

Now I need a new radiator, any suggestions where I can get this from a reliable source?

Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

jaxops

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) (Bruce Reynolds) on August 27, 2009, 08:14:08 AM
G'day Mark,

Why would you have to replace the Ford Stainless ones?   Stainless Steel won't rust out.

Bruce. >:D
They did so perhaps they weren't really stainless.  They did last for over 130,000 miles though.  I don't know too many aluminum ones that will as a daily driver.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

bcroe

The 400 series stainless has an extended life & can be handled like steel.  The 304 stainless is truly lifetime, but requires mandrel bending.  Using 1/16" (62mil) thick I haven't noticed are any more noisy that steel, but there may be a minor "tinny' sound to them.  Serious noise (for any material) can be minimized several ways.  First duals should have a crossover as close to the engine as practical.  The "X" type is excellent.  Next use the biggest mufflers possible.  The muffler quality must be consistent with the performance & quieting properties desired.  I use BORLA "lifetime" with excellent flow, probably not the quietest.  Third use resonators, same rules apply.  My high flow 304 stainless dual systems are very quiet, almost silent in a single exhaust system.  Bruce Roe CLC # 4630