News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hydramatic 1955 : Is this correctly mounted?

Started by Cadillac1955, August 27, 2009, 03:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac1955

Hydramatic 1955 :  I wonder if I have mounted this correct??
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Coupe de Ville 1955
Cadillac Coupe de Ville 1964 "The Apollo"
Cadillac Conv. 1965

J. Gomez

Quote from: Cadillac1955 on August 27, 2009, 03:23:25 AM

Andrè,

The transmission support should be resting on top of the frame cross member, at least that is the way it is in the 1956 Hydra-matic. I would assume the same would apply for the 1955.

Also your picture shows what it appear to be ½” spacers between the frame and the support; again it does not look right.   ???

You could have clearance issues with the front universal joint the way it is shown. A 1955 member would need to confirm my info and if you setup is correct or not..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Cadillac1955

Hey guys! I need more response if I've installed this Hydra Matic fastened properly? Can someone check this ... Many thanks in advance
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Conv. 1965

Cadillac1955

Quote from: Cadillac1955 on August 27, 2009, 03:23:25 AM

Hey guys! I need more response if I've installed this Hydra Matic fastened properly? Can someone check this ... Many thanks
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Conv. 1965

Otto Skorzeny

I too think it looks wrong but I also have a '56. I think you really need to get a '55 owner's input. Gm changed all kinds of things yearly.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Cadillac1955

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on August 30, 2009, 03:14:43 PM
I too think it looks wrong but I also have a '56. I think you really need to get a '55 owner's input. Gm changed all kinds of things yearly.

Hello,

Thank You.    
Hi. I have tried many possibilities here. However, this is the only way that looks right
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Conv. 1965

Sweede64

Could the member fit upside down? Just a thoght.
Thomas Karlström

Dan LeBlanc

It almost looks like the mount is inside out . . . the metal portion should be resting inside the transmission housing where the rubber is now and the rubber should contact the crossmember (that's the way the 61's and 62's are at least).  They way you have it now you'll have transmission noise transferred into the crossmember, into the frame, and then into the cabin.  The rubber contacts the crossmember to isolate the noise. 
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

walt chomosh #23510

caddy 1955,
  I'll get under my 55 tomorrow. Like the others,something doesn't look right!....walt...tulsa,ok

Cadillac1955

Quote from: walt #23510 on August 30, 2009, 09:46:49 PM
caddy 1955,
  I'll get under my 55 tomorrow. Like the others,something doesn't look right!....walt...tulsa,ok

Many thanks Walt.
Im looking forward to see the pic
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Conv. 1965

J. Gomez

Quote from: Cadillac1955 on August 31, 2009, 02:10:50 AM
Many thanks Walt.
Im looking forward to see the pic

Andrè,

August 1956 Cadillac Serviceman picture attached showing the transmission mount..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Cadillac1955

Quote from: Jose Gomez CLC #23082 on August 31, 2009, 12:35:53 PM
Andrè,

August 1956 Cadillac Serviceman picture attached showing the transmission mount..!

Many thanks for this pic Jose
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Conv. 1965

David King (kz78hy)

Here is a before shot of the trans and cross member on my 58.

Maybe not much difference to yours.

David

David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Cadillac1955

Quote from: kz78hy on August 31, 2009, 03:34:59 PM
Here is a before shot of the trans and cross member on my 58.

Maybe not much difference to yours.

David

Andrè Aga

Cadillac Conv. 1965

Otto Skorzeny

According to the photo Jose posted, those rubber cushions go on the inside (underside) of the cross member. Washers go between the mount and the cross member.

The space is supposed to be only 3/32" between the cross member and bottom of mount.
fward

Cadillac1955

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on August 31, 2009, 03:57:46 PM
According to the photo Jose posted, those rubber cushions go on the inside (underside) of the cross member. Washers go between the mount and the cross member.

The space is supposed to be only 3/32" between the cross member and bottom of mount.

So I have mounted it correctly ??

Andrè Aga

Cadillac Conv. 1965

Otto Skorzeny

No.

In the serviceman photo that Jose posted, the rubber bushings go on the underside of the cross member. Flat metal washers go where you have the rubber bushings now.

If those cylindrical shaped pieces of rubber are permanently affixed to the mount, then I would have to say that you have the wrong transmission cushion.
fward

Cadillac1955

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on August 31, 2009, 04:07:19 PM
No.

In the serviceman photo that Jose posted, the rubber bushings go on the underside of the cross member. Flat metal washers go where you have the rubber bushings now.

If those cylindrical shaped pieces of rubber are permanently affixed to the mount, then I would have to say that you have the wrong transmission cushion.

Perhaps I shall be looking for an other rubber cushion...
Many thanks for all replies.
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Conv. 1965

Otto Skorzeny

Let's see what Walt from Tulsa comes up with in a photo of his 1955. I emailed you a suggestion to contact a certain member regarding this. Did you get my email? His 1955 is a beautifully restored show winner. I'm sure he'd be able to tell you what the problem is with those mounts.

Are the rubber bushings permanently attached or can they be repositioned? The phot from the manual clearly shows them underneath the cross member and washers used as spacers on thetopside of the cross member.
fward

Cadillac1955

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on August 31, 2009, 04:26:56 PM
Let's see what Walt from Tulsa comes up with in a photo of his 1955. I emailed you a suggestion to contact a certain member regarding this. Did you get my email? His 1955 is a beautifully restored show winner. I'm sure he'd be able to tell you what the problem is with those mounts.

Are the rubber bushings permanently attached or can they be repositioned? The phot from the manual clearly shows them underneath the cross member and washers used as spacers on thetopside of the cross member.

Hello Otto,

No I did not received the e-mail. Please resend it... The rubber bushings do not go through the crossmember, and I cant see other ways how it should be mounted. Perhaps those rubber bushings are to big. Is it so that the rubber Bushings shall go through the cross member? I bought this rubber cushion at Ebay for 1 year ago.
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Conv. 1965