News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Steering gear box

Started by Christian Vangoitsenhoven, August 31, 2009, 09:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christian Vangoitsenhoven

Hello everybody,
Could you excuse my english language.
I have excessive play on my steering wheel on my '58 Cadillac Sedan deville and I would like remove the steering gear box.
In the shop manual there is no explanation for disconnect the idler arm from the drag link.Is somebody may let me know how I should proceed and secondly let me know a rebuilder on your country.
I leave in Belgium and better is to find one on the east coast.I find one in Texas and one in Ohio
I hoppe to find help to you.
Thank you very much
Christian

J. Gomez

Quote from: Christian Vangoitsenhoven on August 31, 2009, 09:20:27 AM
Hello everybody,
Could you excuse my english language.
I have excessive play on my steering wheel on my '58 Cadillac Sedan deville and I would like remove the steering gear box.
In the shop manual there is no explanation for disconnect the idler arm from the drag link.Is somebody may let me know how I should proceed and secondly let me know a rebuilder on your country.
I leave in Belgium and better is to find one on the east coast.I find one in Texas and one in Ohio
I hoppe to find help to you.
Thank you very much
Christian

Christian,

On the 1956 shop manual it shows a special Pitman Arm puller J-2162 used to remove the pitman arm. A similar tool could be use example of one attached. I would assume the same tool and procedure would be use for other years. What I recall on my 1956 I did not have to remove the complete steering linkage, however I did have to unbolt the Idler Arm to allow clearance for the pitman arm to drop.

One note the pitman nut is torque at 100-125 Ft/Lbs (135-169N/m) so an air impact wrench would be advantageous.

Before you tackle the removal have you check and possible made the necessary adjustment tothe steering gear for the excessive play??

Steering gear places I’m aware of are;

http://www.larescorp.com
http://www.powersteeringparts.com/
http://www.powersteerinc.com/

Good luck..!

J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Jose,Thank you for yours explanations but the restorers ask me for have the pitman arm with the steering gear and I don't know how to remove it from the drag link with the system with spring.
I will not remove all the steering linkage.

Cadillac1955

Quote from: Christian Vangoitsenhoven on August 31, 2009, 02:55:52 PM
Jose,Thank you for yours explanations but the restorers ask me for have the pitman arm with the steering gear and I don't know how to remove it from the drag link with the system with spring.
I will not remove all the steering linkage.

This is how it looks like at a 55. I hope it can help you a little bit :-)

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/documents/Shop_Manuals_and_Illus_Catalogs/1955%20Shop%20Manual/tn/55%20Shop%20Manual%20-%2040.jpg.html
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Coupe de Ville 1955
Cadillac Coupe de Ville 1964 "The Apollo"
Cadillac Conv. 1965

I have the same exploded view on my shop manual but not how to process for disacoupling the Pitman Arm.

Cadillac1955

Quote from: Christian Vangoitsenhoven on August 31, 2009, 03:17:07 PM
I have the same exploded view on my shop manual but not how to process for disacoupling the Pitman Arm.

I contacted an engineering workshop. These arms is very hard to loosen. You have to remove the steering box from the car...
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Conv. 1965

André,
Thank you for your contact.
I have not removed the steering box from the car! Before I would like to be sure from what I make.
If is very to hard,I remove it without pitman arm.

Cadillac1955

Quote from: Christian Vangoitsenhoven on August 31, 2009, 03:40:17 PM
André,
I have not removed the steering box from the car! Before I would like to be sure from what I make.

I belive You have to contact a workshop asking them to help You... Michael Galanto has very nice rebuilings kit for these steering boxes... Very cheap too. USD 86.00 for a Master rebuildings kit...
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Conv. 1965

J. Gomez

Quote from: Christian Vangoitsenhoven on August 31, 2009, 03:40:17 PM
André,

Christian,
Again I’m familiar with a 1956 so I would assume the same should be applicable for other years including your 1958.

If you need to remove the pitman arm from the steering drag link, you would probably need to remove both tie rods and the idler arm.
At each end or the linkage there should be a slotted screw plug, there is also a cotter pin. You have to use a special tool (manual shows as J-6223). It looks like a flat head socket adapter that fits the slot on the plug. I have two types small (Walden #1130) and medium (Proto #5445).
Removed the plug at the pitman arm end with the adapter, one note there should a loading spring in between the plug and the first of two caps that wraps around the pitman arm ball (see link from Cadillac1955). There is also a dust cap inside, just take picture of everything for reference.
You should be able to slide the pitman arm out.

PS Once you put everything back in you will need to follow the steps to adjust the steering linkage.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Thank you Jose and Andre,
I understand the process now but for you is it necessary to remove all the steering connecting link just for remove the steering box because all the adjustements are correct.I follow the instructions on my shop manual.

May you let me know the e-mail or the web site from Michael Galanto

habana69

good afternoon. i am new to your forum and would also like to get some info on how to repair steering gear boxes and powersteering pumps . I am restoring 4 x 1954-1956 cadillacs here in habana-cuba and parts are very hard to find . any help would be very much appreciated .  

Cadillac1955

Quote from: Christian Vangoitsenhoven on August 31, 2009, 05:15:35 PM

Mike Gadaleto
1734 Arrowhead Drive
Atco, New Jersey 08004
856-753-6788
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Conv. 1965

Cadillac1955

Quote from: Christian Vangoitsenhoven on August 31, 2009, 05:15:35 PM

Mike Gadaleto
1734 Arrowhead Drive
Atco, New Jersey 08004
856-753-6788
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Conv. 1965

Sweede64

Hi Christian, why send the box to USA? There are people i EU who can fix it and parts are available here to.
I have overhauled many Cadillac boxes with good result, tight and sealed.
I live in Sweden and you ca bye parts at  www.tamotor.se if something is worn beyond repair they can supply part from dismantled cars.

Thomas Karlström