News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Taking apart a '41 Cadillac vacuum antenna assembly

Started by srk1941, September 02, 2009, 07:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srk1941

I have an extra vacuum antenna assembly for my '41, and wanted to get the chrome antenna shaft out to rechrome it.

I see a couple of screws, which are of course frozen in place, but I can't really tell how it's put together.

Does anyone have a diagram, or possibly have done this already?

Is there a secret?

Steven Keylon
Steven Keylon
1941 Cadillac Convertible Coupe
CLC# 16658

Doug Houston

We need to know which antenna you have. The 60Special only used the cowl mount antenna from 1939-40. This was because the 41-60S had a 1938 body, and was the only '41 Cadillac that could use that antenna. I believe that the trunk mount antenna for '41-67 and 75 was also the first design.

All other '41 Cadillacs had the fender mount antenna.

The vacuum cylinder had brass and pieces that were threaded into it. Not a smart idea, because brass and aluminum are so far apart on the electromotive series of metals. Try fiirst holding one brass end in a vise, and gripping the cylinder by hand, and turning it. This applies to each end. Thelittle ball on the end of the inner mast rod screws off. Best to not give it to your plater. He'll lose it.

If the pieces don't unscrew, some heat, probably from a heat gun, applied to the cylinder, should break it loose.

The mast and piston will come out of the bottom end, with a few springs and seals from the top end.

You'll see some little spring fingers on the mast pieces. Best to have the plater tape these over, and not plate them. If they aren't working, the mast will never hold in any open position.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Warren Rauch

Cadillac did publish some (2 pages) servicing information on these antennas.  But , it was in the Cadillac Serviceman of May-June 1944.It gives a blow-up of the parts . And tells how to make a special tool for removing the contacts inside the aerial. The early 41 antennias were 7/8 " ID and the late ones were 1.025" ID. Then in 42  they brought out a new model. I'll send you a copy since this is a very hard publication to find. Warren