News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Passenger window rolls up REALLY SLOW...

Started by Steve W, September 05, 2009, 04:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve W

Rolling up the passenger door window takes forever. Its not making any noise, and it does go up and down...just really slowly. Is it the motor? Or do the relays go bad gradually? Or does it need lube? Any suggestions....
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

Sweede64

check the conectors, they can be coroded and if the current is to low the motor can burn.
Thomas Karlström

The Tassie Devil(le)

Check for binding linkage, sliders, glass edgings and don't forget the internals of the gearing itself.

Old grease that is impregnated with dirt, and grit can get really stiff, and the area between the Coil Spring within the actuator can fill with grit, and rust.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Steve W

Thanks guys...

OK, this past weekend I took off the door panel and inspected everything...no binding, cleaned all electrical contacts, cleaned and lubed the motor and the rails the sliders move in. Its a LOT better now !!  Not perfect, and not as fast as the driver's side window motor (which was replaced a year or so ago)...but a LOT better than it was.

Also, another problem I had was the wing-window cranking mechanism was "stripped" or so I was told when I bought the car (the crank just spun around without moving the window)...so the wing-window wouldn't close tight against the rubber seal without pushing it in by hand.   
So...I took that apart and found that the screw mechanism (which is at the other end of the crank "shaft", if you will) was not stripped, but the mounting plate on the back of the assembly is held in place by rivets, and the rivets failed, the backing plate came off, which allowed the screw mechanism to pass through the entire mechanism and not even touch the screw gear that turns the window....SO...I took it out, re-installed the backing plate, re-hammered the rivets to hold tight, lubed everything... and it works PERFECTLY!!!!

Also, I got my 1968 wiper blades from BobsCads and went to NAPA to get the refills..and now my wipers are back to original!

So..all-in-all, a great weekend!
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866