News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

68 Deville owners...HELP!!!!

Started by Steve W, September 05, 2009, 06:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve W

I am at my wit's end and about to do some serious damage to  this car if I can't figure this out!
This SHOULD have been a very simple fix, and on most cars, it would be. BUT CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW IN THE WORLD THE CLIPS WORK ON THE REAR BUMPER SIDE MARKER LIGHTS???
I had a burnt out rear side marker light, and simply wanted to change the bulb...so I removed the two screws and assumed the cover would just pop off and let me change the bulb...as it would be on any other car on the planet...oh, man, was I WRONG....the entire assembly comes apart and the clips just fall out!!! And I've now been working on this for the last TWO HOURS and can't figure out how to keep that bottom clip in...I even took apart the rear tail light assembly and that was no help.I have the Fisher 1968 Body manual, as well as the Chilton's manual and no help there either. GM only used this configuration for 1968, and there are no diections for this seemingly ASSININE assembly.

ANYONE???? Has anyone here ever changed the rear marker light on a 68????   HELP!!!!! This is driving me CRAZY!  >:(    ???   :'( 
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

Steve W

OK...never mind....I fixed it. Had to take the entire tail light assembly apart to be able hold the bottom clip in place with a magnet. (And its absolutely neccessary to have one of those "magnet on a long wand" type of tools because you WILL drop the clip down into the bumper assembly...repeatedly!) It helps to actually put the whole assembly back together outside of the bumper, and to have the screws tightened just enough to hold things in place, then install the assembly, guiding the bottom clip in place very carefully from inside the tail light assembly, then tighten the bottom screw just a bit...then install the top clip from inside the tail light assembly, and then tighten everything up and put the tail light assembly back together.  A VERY complicated, seemingly stupid way to mount the marker light.
It does not make sense, it is not logical, and it wasn't even the easiest way they could have engineered this. Amazing...
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866