News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

331 v8 oil filter lines

Started by 55 coupe, September 07, 2009, 02:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

55 coupe

Can someone tell me where abouts the 2 steel lines of the remote oil filter go to, pretty sure one of them goes to the housing where the oil filler cap is but not sure which on that is on the oil filter, any ideas about the other line??

Regards Sean

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Sean, Here's a few photo's of the set up on a 53. The 55 should be the same or similar. The supply goes into the top of the canister and returns out the bottom and dumps back to the engine through the oil filler and fuel pump mount housing. Again, this is a 53. Yours may be different.

Paul
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Cadillac1955

can someone tell me how long those oil pipes are? I lost my old oil-pipes, so I have to make them ...
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Coupe de Ville 1955
Cadillac Coupe de Ville 1964 "The Apollo"
Cadillac Conv. 1965

Otto Skorzeny

The best method to make your own tubes - and get the bends correct - is to take a piece of 10gauge electric wire that you use to wire a house. Form it along the route you wish to run your line. Then you use it as a template for measuring and  bending the actual tubing. It's cheap and if you make a mistake, you can bend it back and start again or just throw it away and cut a new piece.

I like the 10 gauge because it's a little stiffer than the 12 gauge wire and holds it's shape better.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Cadillac1955

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on September 07, 2009, 11:58:05 AM
The best method to make your own tubes - and get the bends correct - is to take a piece of 10gauge electric wire that you use to wire a house. Form it along the route you wish to run your line. Then you use it as a template for measuring and  bending the actual tubing. It's cheap and if you make a mistake, you can bend it back and start again or just throw it away and cut a new piece.

I like the 10 gauge because it's a little stiffer than the 12 gauge wire and holds it's shape better.

Hello,

Hi. It was a very smart idea. I'll do it tomorrow ... How thick is the oil pipeline actually?

Thank You
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Conv. 1965

Philippe M. Ruel

1952 60 Special in France.

55 coupe

Paul,,, thanks so much do you no if yours has a little brass one way valve in one of the lines i pressume to stop oil running back and draining the filter?? 

CHeers Sean

Quote from: P W Allen CLC# 20193 on September 07, 2009, 10:41:49 AM
Sean, Here's a few photo's of the set up on a 53. The 55 should be the same or similar. The supply goes into the top of the canister and returns out the bottom and dumps back to the engine through the oil filler and fuel pump mount housing. Again, this is a 53. Yours may be different.

Paul

Cadillac1955

Quote from: 55 coupe on September 07, 2009, 04:12:04 PM
Paul,,, thanks so much do you no if yours has a little brass one way valve in one of the lines i pressume to stop oil running back and draining the filter?? 

CHeers Sean

I own a Coupe de Ville 55. Its the same...
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Conv. 1965

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Quote from: 55 coupe on September 07, 2009, 04:12:04 PM

CHeers Sean

Sean, No, there is no check valve in the lines that I know of, but there may be something in the canister itself But I doubt it. These filters are the bypass type. They just take a slipstream of oil from the engine, through the filter and dump it back to the engine again. They are not at all like say, a modern spin on filter that is actually part of the engines oil circulating system with full flow. So even if all the oil in the filter in your 55' drained back to the engine when you shut down, it would just fill up and dump back again on the next start up. These filters were optional equipment back then and are just an add-on so to speak. They are not part of the engines oiling system. The engine doesn't care weather it's there or not. Cars that were purchased without the filter would have the supply and return fittings on the engine plugged.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

55 coupe

Paul,,

That interesting because i have a one way check valve but again no idea where it goes, engine was apart when i bought the car.

thanks for all your help.

cheers Sean

Coupe

I am not familiar with a '55 only '57 and '62. Does the '55 have an auxiliary vacuum pump as part of the oil pump?  If so the check valve could be for the line coming from that. In '57 the port for that is on the passenger side of the block just above the starter.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2