News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 Cadillac Clock Issue

Started by Kevin Kenneally, September 07, 2009, 06:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Kenneally

My '55 Cadillac just rolled 20,000 original miles and I have started to fix some of the minor things that aren't working after 54 years and next on the list is the clock.. It looks brand new but for some reason it lights up but does not run..  I was told they need cleaned and oiled periodically but when I asked a local guy how much he would charge to do this he said, "between 200 and 250"..  I thought to myself, "dollars?"..  Is there anything I can do myself or does anyone have any experience getting these running??  Again, the car only has 20,000 miles, I have taken it apart and it looks as new as the day they put it in on the assembly line..........  Thanks again for helping! 

Kevin

Walter Youshock

Spray the hell out of it with WD-40 or PB Blaster.  Shake off the excess and let it sit on a paper towel so it all drains off.  DO NOT take the clock itself apart.  You'll never get it back in proper adjustment.

Depending on the model--Borg or Westclox, you can also sand the contacts.  The Borg movement is easier to work on.

Hook it up to a battery charger.  The clock body is ground and the wire connector is positive.  It SHOULD wind.  Set it and let it run overnight in the house.  The time should stay pretty close.

OR:  send it to me and I'll do it for $175--and I'll repaint the hands, too!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

D.Yaros

Quote from: 55cadkev on September 07, 2009, 06:49:10 AM
My '55 Cadillac just rolled 20,000 original miles and I have started to fix some of the minor things that aren't working after 54 years and next on the list is the clock..
Kevin,

Since you are here, you received, and acted on, my email.  Welcome to the forum!  I see you have had responses already.

Good luck!
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Kevin Kenneally

Dave,

Yes I have and I can't thank you enough!  I have a few more minor issues with this incredible car with the help from the great folks on this board will be fixed soon!

Again, thanks!

Kevin

D.Yaros

Kevin,

Enjoy that ride, as well as the coniviviality of the good folk here!

As I have also mentioned, you will get far more than the mere vaule of your money back by investing in a Cad-LaSalle Club membership.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Greg McDonnell

Quote from: Walter Youshock on September 07, 2009, 07:49:22 AM
Spray the hell out of it with WD-40 or PB Blaster.  Shake off the excess and let it sit on a paper towel so it all drains off.  DO NOT take the clock itself apart.  You'll never get it back in proper adjustment.

Depending on the model--Borg or Westclox, you can also sand the contacts.  The Borg movement is easier to work on.

Hook it up to a battery charger.  The clock body is ground and the wire connector is positive.  It SHOULD wind.  Set it and let it run overnight in the house.  The time should stay pretty close.

OR:  send it to me and I'll do it for $175--and I'll repaint the hands, too!

I received an email from a friend who has repaired or rebuilt many clocks, both automotive and mantle clocks.  He cleaned and repaired his '61 Lincoln Continental's dash clock and it's working like a champ now.  He mentioned NEVER to use WD-40 as it will ruin a clock.  Given his experience and many years repairing clocks of all types, I would certainly trust his advice.  There are many professional clock repair businesses in Hemmings and on the Internet that could get your clock working again without doing any damage to it.  I would be happy to put you in touch with my clock guru friend if you would like.

Greg McDonnell
CLC# 20841
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

Walter Youshock

I wouldn't try it on a Patek Phillipe, but a car clock is relatively indestructible.

I've done this on about 10 clocks for various years from the mid-50's to the mid 60's and I got just about every one of them to work.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

mario

hey lou:
thanks for reminding me of this link: http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php/topic,101545.msg112981.html#msg112981.

i had forgot all about it. in may, i installed my clock that williamson's instruments, in arkansas, had converted to quartz and am happy to say that it is operating as smooth as silk. it has not needed any adjustment since installation. i cannot recommend this company enough. they even sent me the old malfunctioning movement, reducer and all.
ciao,
mario

Kevin Kenneally

Well, I sent the clock out to The Clock Works today via Priority Mail..  They said if they get it by Friday it would be done and shipped back on Monday!  And they only charged $59.95 plus shipping..  I spoke to a local clock person and she wanted a minimum $135 and would take 2-3 weeks to have it done..  I liked the fact The Clock Works just works on automobile clocks!  Great source, thanks for the lead and I will update once I get the clock back..  Kevin

Bill Podany #19567

You will be pleased with the quality of the work from The Clock Works; over they years, they have repaired my Cadillac clocks with fair prices and speedy service.  I have had them convert clocks to quartz, and also restored the mechanicals to original equiptment.  Both alternatives have worked well.  The value of a quartz conversion is that the clock is always working as long as the batteries are effective; for example, on mechanical clocks, they stop working when you disconnect the battery for storage.  My cars get equipted with hidden battery shut-offs under the dash with battery tenders connected and hidden in the trunk.

Good luck and the 55 Cadillac is a sweet thing to own.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, Tn
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

Kevin Kenneally

Thanks, Bill.. 

It is quite an honor to drive a 1955 Cadillac with just over 20,000 original miles and everything is original..  I spoke to the 2nd owner last week that bought it from a Pennsylvania farmer back in '61, when he died..  In fact, I just replaced the Remington Wide White Walls he put on in 1971!  WOW!  I can go on and on...........

Chris Conklin

A question regarding the clocks for '50's era cars; Are they "self adjusting"? Meaning, when you adjust the time forward on the clock it will automatically increase the movement speed. Conversely, re-set it back and it will slow itself. Just curious, I have heard this is the difficulty with these timepieces. I have two clocks for my car so that one can always be in a state of repair.
Chris Conklin

Walter Youshock

Yes, they are supposedly somewhat "self-adjusting".  Setting the clock 12 hours FORWARD will reset it 5 seconds/hour fast.  Turning it BACK 12 hours will make it run 5 seconds slower.

If mine stays within 3 mins. fast or slow on a 12-hour show day, I'm happy.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

There is a small screw at the top of the clock to adjust for +/- minutes per day.

It's trial and error, but I have my '55 clock running such that it gains just about
5 minutes every 3 days or so -- that's about as good as it gets!!!!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Walter Youshock

Mike,

Right again!  I forgot that they went to an internal adjustment by '57!  They did keep to the external screw adjustment on the rear clocks of the "75" series through at least 1958.  The front clocks on '57's had the 12-hour adjustment.

Did the '56 have the screw as well across the line?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Glen

As a clarification on the automatic speed adjustment on the clocks, if you get in the car every morning and adjust the time it will eventually keep very good time and only need adjustment very infrequently.  I’m not sure what year this started but I had it on my 61 Coupe DeVille.

The speed adjustment is made at the very beginning of the movement to set the correct time, but it is a small adjustment of the speed so it takes a week or so of daily adjusting if it is really far off in speed.  The speed adjusting mechanism resets every 12 hours so you can actually set the time twice a day.   

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Re: WD-40/Blaster on clocks.

My son-in-law is a master clockmaker. I have worked in his shop, and we could always tell when a clock mechanism was "fixed" with WD-40. They are gummy and quite difficult to clean. Sure, they may start up and run, but the liquid will draw dust and crud and eventually stop the clock again. We actually charged more to overhaul a clock when it was sprayed with WD-40.

Also, car clocks are an industry in themselves. Bill usually sends any brought to him to one of the shops that advertises in HMN. We use the one in WI.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Kevin Kenneally

That's great news because I sent it to the shop in Wisconsin, The Clock Works..  I verified they got it today and should have it back out to me on Monday..  I understand they are very, very good and very reasonable..   Kevin

carguyblack

Dito on the Clock Works recommendations. They have done excellent work on 3 of my clocks (different cars) over the last 10 years or so and have all run and looked beautiful after they worked them. About $75 including shipping can't be beat. I'd kill hours trying to figure it out and would still screw it up and need to send it way anyway. Save a headache and get it to Clock Works as fast as you can! Enjoy life!
Chuck (56 Cadillac Coupe Deville)
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Walter Youshock

I admit that my method does not always work.  I've had some relatively good success with it, however.  I also had a less than satisfactory spring repair done on a Borg movement clock by a recommended rebuilder.

If you look in your Dealer Service or Lubrication Agreements, one item was to: "Remove clock, clean, oil and readjust" or something to that effect, once per year or ever other year.

Few people, especially once the car was used, followed those directions.  Most clock problems are caused by dirt and lack of lubrication.

The clock running in my car now (Westclox movement), came out of a local junkyard that I cleaned and keeps excellent time over a 12-hour run.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham